Solved

Bufferer doesn't work in some cases

• 28 August 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello!

Can somebody please try to figure out why in some cases bufferer doesn't work. I have 2 streets with the same name. I'm creating buffer around them gruped by street name. I want those two buffers to become one buffer.

But when I put buffer amount = 5 nothing is passed through bufferer. If I change it to 3 or 10 it works. For 1, again it doesn't work. I played with the buffer size but can't figure out some rule why it works with some numbers but not with the other.

Here is the data if someone want's to try.

icon

Best answer by markatsafe 28 August 2019, 17:17

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4

Remember that the buffer size is in ground units, which may not always be what you want.

Have a look at the GeographicBufferer instead, it will let you specify the buffer size units (e.g. meters) regardless of the ground units.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Remember that the buffer size is in ground units, which may not always be what you want.

Have a look at the GeographicBufferer instead, it will let you specify the buffer size units (e.g. meters) regardless of the ground units.

Version15 of the Bufferer allows you to specify Buffer Distance Units so metres instead of Ground Units
Badge

GeographicBufferer doen't have group by parameter so I have to use Dissolver after it. I just tried it and I get the same thing in the end. Again with buffer sizes 3 or 10 m it works, but with 5m or 1m it doesn't.

Userlevel 4
Version15 of the Bufferer allows you to specify Buffer Distance Units so metres instead of Ground Units

Completely forgot about that, good catch!

Badge +2

@mario_bla From the image of your Bufferer, would guess you are using a very old version of FME, earlier than FME 2017.

I was not able to reproduce your problem in the latest version of FME - FME 2019.1. If you have an up-to-date maintenance agreement with Safe or your reseller, then try installing the latest version of FME, and make sure you ad a new Bufferer to your workspace.

Badge

@mario_bla From the image of your Bufferer, would guess you are using a very old version of FME, earlier than FME 2017.

I was not able to reproduce your problem in the latest version of FME - FME 2019.1. If you have an up-to-date maintenance agreement with Safe or your reseller, then try installing the latest version of FME, and make sure you ad a new Bufferer to your workspace.

You are right. I'm using FME 2016 because our FME server verion is 2016. I tried in FME 2018 and it seams the problem doesn't occur. So, this is some kind of bug in FME 2016?