Question

How do I prevent FME Store transformers from overriding local custom transfomers?

Badge +11

I have a custom transformer that I wrote called "SequenceGenerator", and have been using it for almost 2 years. It resides in a shared folder on one of my servers so other staff can use it in their workbench files. I just upgraded to FME 2016.1 this afternoon and opened one of my workbenches that has this custom transformer in it (as a linked transformer, not embedded). Unfortunately, each instance is now pointing to the one from the FME Store (which is downloaded to my C:\\Users\\xxxx\\AppData\\Roaming\\Safe Software\\FME\\FME Store\\Transformers folder automatically). If I delete the downloaded one, as soon as I open this workbench again, it re-downloads it. This effectively blocks my own custom transformer.

Do I need to start namespacing my custom transformers with a prefix or something to prevent this? How can I specify that custom transformers stored in either my \\My Documents\\FME\\Transformers or the configured shared network folder take precedence over the FME Store downloads?

7 replies

Badge +11

As a follow up, I noticed this morning that when I start FME, I get this message in the log window:

Transformer Conflict - SequenceGenerator - Ignoring C:\Users\[redacted]\AppData\Roaming\Safe Software\FME\FME Store\Transformers\SequenceGenerator.fmx because it defines a transformer with the same name as the transformer defined in K:\FME_Development\Custom FME Tools\Transformers\SequenceGenerator.fmx

However, the damage appears to be done as every time I load my workbench, it still substitutes the transformer from the Store.  If I try to add one from my shared custom transformer location, it just inserts another copy of the one from the Store.

Badge +22

I have encountered similar issues. I ended up just putting a prefix on the ones that were problematic.

Badge +11

Just went back and checked this in FME 2016.0.1 on a different computer, and it is substituting the FME Store version of the transformer as well. Something must have changed recently, because I was able to open and run this workspace correctly as recently as April 7th.

Badge +11

I have encountered similar issues. I ended up just putting a prefix on the ones that were problematic.

I think that is what I will have to do.

Thanks for this. We will have a fix in shortly. Are you able to use a .1.1 beta? @c2

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Thanks for this. We will have a fix in shortly. Are you able to use a .1.1 beta? @c2

It also seems like identically named transformers from a shared site (locally, not store) superseedes the ones located in the local installation folder.

I would have thought, that local versions superceeded shared resources, as local versions superceeds store resource, enabling a smoother development cycle. The shared resources ought to be where the final tested versions reside.

FME Desktop should store the downloaded custom transformer to the Shared folder specified in options, and not in the roaming profile, or at least ask you where to store