Question

getting null values for entire tile, happening only for B4 band from sentinel 2

• 7 October 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

I am reading sentinel data from sentinel 2 aws, getting null values in only B4 band, blank image when visualizing in inspector. When i am reading B8 the image is visualized correctly. shown in below image (B4).

Below is B8

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @vkskreddy,

I checked in with my team on this one for ideas and they've suggested that, it's not necessarily black - if it is 16 bit, and the values are low (these images show the actual amount of light pixels received, not stretched to the whole range) then it will look black.

If this is the case, you can use the RasterExpressionEvaluator to change the pixel values into an 8-bit range instead of a 16-bit range (shortening the range of brightness values that the data is stretched to cover). Check out step 4 on our tutorial, Making RGB Images with Sentinel Data. And for anyone else who is interested, I thought this page on Image Enhancement from the Natural Resources Canada website (external page), explained brightness values well.

To start, have a look at some individual pixels check the selected pixels shown in the Feature Information Window of the Data Inspector or Visual Previewer. We want to check that each pixel has a value and it's not uniformly just black (one value across the whole image), as well as what interpretation type (or bit range) each band has.

If you hit any snags with the tutorial, if you are able to share any sample data, that would be really helpful to provide more information, and perhaps the Community can provide more suggestions on it.

Hope that helps!

- Jovita