Question

Create tunnel shape using 3D ellipses

Badge +5

Hi community!

Looking for some advice on how to tackle a scenario...

I'm trying to get an egg shaped (or ellipse) 3d buffer around some line work. My thoughts were to create some offsets for the sides, centre and top of the ellipse, generate a surface over these using them as break lines then do a similar process for the bottom half. I'm stuck on how to orientate the ellipses in 3D as well as simply creating them from the points and lines that I have. Any suggestions on how to tackle this would be great, be it the ellipses or a new approach to modelling this 'tunnel' shape entirely. Some top notch paint illustrations below. Sample .fmwt data attached.

Top view

3D view

3D view again

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

An interesting subject, but the sample FFS dataset cannot be found. Could you please post that again?

Badge +2

Attached .fmwt. It's best to work through it rather than me explain it since it goes off in so many directions.

Made this hot dog looking thing and it works.

Result is a deaggregated cylinder arch/tunnel.

Badge +5

An interesting subject, but the sample FFS dataset cannot be found. Could you please post that again?

Sorry @takashi, the FFS didn't upload. There's an .fmwt file there now. Let me know if still not working.

Badge +5

Attached .fmwt. It's best to work through it rather than me explain it since it goes off in so many directions.

@jlbaker2779 wow, nice dog! I'll try and deconstruct it and see if there are any scenarios I can apply to my workspace. Do you know if it works for more complex shapes ie. 3d polylines rather than just lines? I'm having particular issues with offsets different number of vertices produced from buffer/offsetcurvegenerator transformers.

Badge +5

Also part of the issue is that I have to produce an ellipse, not an arc shape which complicates it further. I think yours is an arc ie. circular?

Badge +24

Maybe @sigtill have some good suggestion to this. It seems likely that you can create a cylinder, then cut it in half afterwords, but there are probably several ways to Rome...