Question

Distance constraint

• 6 June 2018
  • 1 reply

I am currently working on creating polygons from a gps tracks based on tracks of same attributes using hullaccumulator but my points (tracks) are scatter and producing overlapping polygons so I am looking for how I can set a distance constrain so points closer to each other can form a separate polygon from tracks further apart even though they have same attributes. Please how can I be able to set distance constrain in this scenario?

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @adanna07, a simple way is: apply a Bufferer (Group By: grouping attribute(s), Buffer Amount: desired distance constraint) to the points to generate polygons each of which only contains points closer each other within the distance constraint, add sequential number attribute as temporary unique ID to the buffers with a Counter, then filter the original points by the buffers with the Clipper or the SpatialFilter to merge the ID to the points. You can then apply the HullAccumulator onto the points grouping them by the ID.

Just be aware that the method above may not be accurate in some cases, since the Bufferer creates a polygonal buffer for a point then merges them according to their spatial relationships.