Question

CSV Reader skips duplicate file name

• 5 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi, good FME people!

First post here, let's see if we can solve this.

I am using a CSV reader to read all the files within a folder. [...\\rawdata\\*}], regardless of file extension.

In the reader parmeter menu I am using the standard dataset parameter, feature type name from file name.

I am noticing that not all files are getting through the reader. And by checking all unique fme_feature_types against what is actually in the folder it seems that duplicate filenames a skipped.

The problem might be that there are duplicate file names, but in windows explorer, they are not considered duplicates as they have different extensions. Ie "1204NA.SND" and 1204NA.cpt"

Is there a good solution for this?

Thank you in advance

Victor

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

This is due to CSV using the filename as the feature type name, I guess the best way to work around this is to use a Directory/File reader and either scan for duplicates and rename those before reading them as CSV's or try and go directly to a FeatureReader (but that may cause issues later on if the structure of the files differs)

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Another option would be to use multiple CSV readers (one per extension) and instead of using the *, use the *.snd, *.cpt as a file filter in the reader.

Will be harder to maintain, but will get all the files read.

Another option would be to use multiple CSV readers (one per extension) and instead of using the *, use the *.snd, *.cpt as a file filter in the reader.

Will be harder to maintain, but will get all the files read.

Thought about that, that's a viable option.

Is it possible to have several readers (w different extensions) but just one referation to the path? Or do I need to change the path on every single one?

This is due to CSV using the filename as the feature type name, I guess the best way to work around this is to use a Directory/File reader and either scan for duplicates and rename those before reading them as CSV's or try and go directly to a FeatureReader (but that may cause issues later on if the structure of the files differs)

Good idea, I really want to look into the Directory/File reader, but haven't really figured it out. Is there a good tutorial on its use somewhere? Looked for that a couple of months ago but gave up!

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Good idea, I really want to look into the Directory/File reader, but haven't really figured it out. Is there a good tutorial on its use somewhere? Looked for that a couple of months ago but gave up!

Hi @virre,

I wasn't able to find any article examples, but our help documentation has been much improved recently so the Directory and Filenames Reader Parameters actually includes a lot of examples if you expand the sections.

I took another look for examples and Takashi's answer to a file copy question has a great relevant example. Some changes you might consider are perhaps to add an AttributeValidator to check for unique rootnames, and maybe a Counter for duplicate names, and then you can set the new value to something like <@Value(path_rootname)@Value(_count)> to create new names for these duplicates. Lots of room here for creativity to get this working the way you want it.