Solved

Missing points when exporting to shapefile?

Badge +5

I have a small mystery, hopefully someone can help me with it.

I have several points (53) that I clip with a polygon shapefile. Some points (51) are inside the polygon, others (2) are outside. In the FME workflow I also see the correct number of features being sent to the shapefile. The data inspector also shows 51 points. But in the actual exported shapefile and .dbf file, I only find 47 points.

I am not using the group feature or anything, and the points all have a unique ID code. Picture 1 shows what I see in FME workbench, picture 2 what data inspector shows me, picture 3 what QGIS reports/FME Data Inspector shows

The file is not open in another app or whatever. When I export to say GEOJSON, I do get the correct 51 points.

What am I missing? Is there a bug when exporting to shapefile? Running FME 2018 build 18284-18301-18305

icon

Best answer by wolters 3 May 2018, 14:23

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Haven't some warning messages appeared in the translation log?

Badge +5

Features Written Summary

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

NewFeatureType 51

Shapefile1 51

==============================================================================

Total Features Written 102

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Translation was SUCCESSFUL with 9 warning(s) (102 feature(s) output)

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

You can see "9 warning(s)" there. The warning messages could contain a hint to understand what happened while the translation.

Badge +5

Apparently some of the features (4 of them) are multipoints which are rejected when writing it to shapefile.

I propose that the error log reflects this and doesn't just simply say: "Features written summary 51, translation was successful" even though it only has written 47. Can this be changed in a future version of FME?

Userlevel 4

Apparently some of the features (4 of them) are multipoints which are rejected when writing it to shapefile.

I propose that the error log reflects this and doesn't just simply say: "Features written summary 51, translation was successful" even though it only has written 47. Can this be changed in a future version of FME?

I agree, this could be improved upon. If you'll post an idea here (see the button "new idea" on the top right of this page), I'll vote for it. Consider linking back to this thread from the idea.
Badge +5
I agree, this could be improved upon. If you'll post an idea here (see the button "new idea" on the top right of this page), I'll vote for it. Consider linking back to this thread from the idea.
Done. I was thinking maybe a reject port for writers (with similar behavior as the reject port for transformers) may also be a solution. https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/69551/rejectport-for-writers.html?
Userlevel 5
Badge +25
Done. I was thinking maybe a reject port for writers (with similar behavior as the reject port for transformers) may also be a solution. https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/69551/rejectport-for-writers.html?
Great idea!