Question

How to shut FME.exe down once FME Workbench has been deleted

Hi - I am having an issue with FME.exe.

I have two FME workbench files - one uses a workbench runner to access the other one.

I have run the models successfully in the past, however, this time, the translation log hangs when the model is running. When I check the log file for workbench 1 (that is accessed by the Workbench runner - it confirms that the model is running), however the translation log is different to previous successful translations.

When I delete both FME workbenches, the model still continues running using FME.exe. Does anyone have any tips on how to shut FME.exe down to stop it running? I can't access it through Task Manager.

Should, in the Workspace Runner, the field 'Wait for Job to Complete' be No or Yes and does that affect FME.exe?

Additionally, this model behaves differently on the computer I'm using compared to the computer a colleague uses. It works how it is supposed to on my colleague's computer, vs, the computer I am using. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Finally - since running the model(s) successfully a year ago, we have moved our FME licenses to a new computer. I have tried running the models on both 2016 and 2018 versions. The models were created using 2016 versions (64 bit)

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

If the WorkspaceRunner is set to wait for job to complete then that process will indeed continue to run. What happens is that your master workspace starts to run, spawning an fme.exe process, and then when it gets to the WorkspaceRunner it spawns a second fme.exe process (or more if you run jobs simultaneously). Both of these run as well as the fmeworkbench.exe process. Killing the Workbench has no effect on the running processes, they will continue and finish. The proper way to end a translation is the stop button in Workbench. However... if you hit the stop button when you have the master workspace open but it's running the child workspace it will only stop the master workspace, the child will continue to run (@NatalieAtSafe, can you get some official confirmation on this?)

It does sound like you should dive in to the root cause of why the child workspace is behaving differently. It might be related to network paths/drive letters that are different between your computer and your colleague's but it's hard to say without knowing any details. Try running it directly, so not through a WorkspaceRunner, first to troubleshoot it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

That's interesting for sure. So to summarize:

• the parent workspace finishes correctly
  • the child log file hangs or does not appear to finish correctly
  • you have an fme.exe running but can't access (can't see it?) in the task manager

Is that correct? I'd say to try opening the child workspace in FME Workbench and running it there. Perhaps there is something that is causing the workspace to run slowly and that's why fme.exe is still running and the log file is incomplete. Running the workspace by itself would show you that.

If the behaviour is the same running in both 2016 and 2018 then I think it's likely that there is something going on in the child, maybe related to the data.

If none of that helps then please do submit this as a case to the Safe support team (safe.com/support) including the workspaces and logs (and data if possible) so they can try to diagnose and/or replicate the problem.