Question

SpatialRelator/SpatialFilter – does not seem to work as expected

Badge
Hi,

I have a workspace that translates Microstation DGN into ESRI Geodatabase and found problems in one of the last transformations that involves SpatialRelator/SpatialFilter.

The Microstation file contains some 3D models and areas/polygons. Generally, each 3D Model should have a corresponding area polygon. If the corresponding area is found for the 3D model (i.e. they intersect) then some attributes are transferred to link the two features. There are also cases where 3D model is missing the corresponding polygon – potential errors I want to find that actually exist in the dataset I attach.

I am trying to test for the above using the FME SpatialRelator/SpatialFilter but they do not seem to work at the moment the way I would expect. Basically, FME does not think features Intesect or OverIap.  I tried using different “Test to Perform” parameters, i.e. Intersect, Contains, etc. but so far with little luck.

The Spatial Join tool from within ESRI ArcGIS does exactly what I am looking for in FME.

Did anybody had similar experience with the SpatialRelator or SpatialFilter?

Your help much appreciated.

Thanks

Magda

3 replies

Badge +2
Hi,

Are you sure that 3D models and Polygons are intersecting with considering Z-axis?

Pratap
Badge +3
Esri Spatial tool uses search radius, maybe buffer your objects?

Also if you use a spatialralator you still have to test for _related_candidates >0 etc. (but i assume you kno
Badge
Thank you for your suggestions. The buffer one did help, however it turned out the I needed to use the SurfaceFootprintReplacer  (new in 2015.1) to first create a footprint for every 3D model, then execute SpatialRelator, that worked fine on 2D footprints, and then use a FeatureMerger to transfer the INTERSECTING features attributes from 2D to 3D.