Question

Workflow from point cloud to 3D model in GIS

• 13 June 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge

I need to create a workflow in FME Workbench. It should contain following steps:

1. Given Point Cloud (.las-format)

2. Export as a 3D Model in IFC

3. Create a Geodatabase

So in the end I want my point cloud to be a model that I can import to ArcGIS Pro. Is that possible or is there any other/better solution solving my problem? I am thankful for any comment.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @jkubacka,

I would say it is possible, but it would be helpful to have more details.

Is the point cloud aerial or terrestrial? Is it the point cloud classified? It is fairly simple to create surfaces from aerial point clouds, but terrestrial can be tricky.

What IFC feature type(s) do you want to create?

FME can write the model generated directly to a Geodatabase, if installed on the same computer as ArcGIS Pro.

Hi,

I don't have any solution for this problem but it makes me want to know if there is any way to have points and lines in the IFC file, because I've been trying to write this kind of geometry within my file but without any result. Until now, I can only manage to visualize volumes...

Badge

Hi @DaveAtSafe

the point cloud is aerial but it's not classified. I just need the 3D feature classes, everything that has to do with surfaces that I can visualize in ArcGIS Pro.

Badge

Hi @DaveAtSafe

the point cloud is aerial but it's not classified. I just need the 3D feature classes, everything that has to do with surfaces that I can visualize in ArcGIS Pro.

It's pointcloud-data from a parking garage at an airport.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @jkubacka,

I would recommend first trying the TINGenerator transformer to see if it will produce a useful surface for you. If it doesn't then you will need to use the PointCloudSurfaceBuilder with the Construction Mode set to Simple Triangulation.

This has more settings that you can manipulate to fine-tune the output surface, but is also more complex to use. I would recommend using the defaults to start, then adjust to get the output you want.

The output surfaces won't be classified into Wall, Roof, etc. You can do your own simple classification by following the steps shown in Add Different Appearances to the Sides of a Solid. You can simplify the process a lot by extracting the surface normals with the PlanarityFilter transformer, then a Tester to separate Walls from Roofs.