Solved

Terminology

I'm very new to FME and would like to use it to migrate ArcGIS geodatabase feature classes from one geodatabase schema to another. I'm trying to teach myself but am having a little trouble with the terminology in the FME documentation. For instance, it seems to me that the word "attribute" is used in place of "field", at least some of the time. Can someone confirm that's the case? Since I work with GIS data, to me the word "attribute" refers to values in a field, not the field itself, so I am sometimes confused. I need to understand the terminology FME is using but I haven't found an index or dictionary of terms in the FME documentation so far. If one exists I'd be grateful to anyone who can point me to it. Thanks.
icon

Best answer by takashi 18 May 2013, 07:21

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I've never seen a document that answers to your doubt exactly, but

"Getting Started with FME Desktop > Understanding Workbench Concepts" the contents in this section might be helpful to understand how basic terminologies (feature, schema, attribute etc.) are used in the FME world.

Takashi
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

With FME 2016.1 we put together documentation on FME terminology. Check it out here: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/!FME_Terminology/terminology.htm