Question

Error retrieving connections

Badge

I've been having trouble with FME 2018 and database connections. I don't want to move to 2019 because my company's FME server is 2018. FME 2018 build 18552 works on my other machine which has previous versions of FME installed. I've been working with a previous post with no success:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/65806/workarounds-to-known-issues-in-fme-2018x.html

Any other ideas?

6 replies

Badge

My experience with Oracle database connections was that once a connection has been set up, running the workspace works fine. Only adding or editing connections or feature types causes problems. The folowing workarounds may help:

• Open a new FME Workbench with a blank canvas. Copy the FeatureReader from your workspace under development to this blank canvas. Edit and copy back. For Readers this also might work, but have not tried. Set up a new one also works. If this does not work directly, a reboot of the system might help.
  • Install the 64-bit version of FME Desktop 32-bit version that you have and perform all the edits for problem causing connections in that 64-bit application. Save and open again in the 32-bit version.

Not ideal, but this helps for me as a workaround.

Badge

I can't create and save a connection even within a workbench. For example, in an "SQL Creator". I attempted to reinstall FME 2017 an now FME 2017 hard quits when I open the Database connections.

Badge

I can't create and save a connection even within a workbench. For example, in an "SQL Creator". I attempted to reinstall FME 2017 an now FME 2017 hard quits when I open the Database connections.

You are talking about v2017, but in your original question you were mentioning v2018. Wat version are you using?

If you install 64-bit FME of equal v2018 build you currently use for 32-bit, you can apply the workaround(s) I mentioned in my other post. You can add connections and perform edits in 64-bit version and copy transformers/reader to 32-bit version. Connections added in 64-bit version are also available in 32-bit.
Badge

I can see how that can be confusing. I'm trying to get my v2018 running again. I was hopeful I could keep working on my project if I reinstalled v2017, but was unsuccessful. To get a working FME on my machine I had to go back to v2015. I'm not sure what v2018 did to my machine. I've attempted to remove all reference of v2018 on my machine, and still can't get v2018 working.

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/39774/why-is-the-licensing-assistant-picking-up-my-float.html

I'll try installing v2018 64bit, but I don't think I can access our ArcGIS SDE which is 32bit.

Badge

I installed FME 2018 64 bit and I was able to open and save a Database Connection. As I suspected I'm unable to access the ARCGIS SDE with the 64bit. I made another attempt to open and save a connection with FME 2018 32 bit with no success.

Badge

Connecting to ArcGIS database with 64-bit is a bit tricky indeed. You would need ArcGIS Pro or 64-bit background processing installed for that. I think that the suggested workarounds could still work for you, but you would have to go through a lot of hassle to create circumstances to be able to use these workarounds. Sounds like the best plan would be to just upgrade to 2019 or to do a fresh install of your laptop and install 2017.