Question

Concatenate values of certain fields in a table with duplicates

• 20 September 2013
  • 2 replies

Hey,

I have a table of Well lithologies containing some logical inconsistencies that I've pulled out with the Matcher. The table has fields Well_ID, ToDepth, Color, Description, Material. It contains multiple records for a given well and depth which I want to merge into a single record. So for instance, I might have the following two records:

Well_ID    ToDepth    Colour    Description    Material

1300186    62    Green  Hard     Shale

1300186    62    Gray    Sandy    Shale

I want to produce a single record that concatenates the Color and Description values, like so:

Well_ID    ToDepth    Colour    Description    Material

1300186    62    Green *AND* Gray  Hard *AND* Sandy    Shale

Ultimately I want to stream these records back into a clean (no more duplicates) Well Lithologies table. Is the Feature Merger the way to do this, and if so, how do I configure it? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Joan

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

You can do this by using the aggregator with a group by (Well_ID) and attributes to concatenate (Colour, Description)

Hope this helps,

Itay
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Joan,

As Itay suggested, the Aggregator works well to concatenate attributes of multiple records in the same group.

In addition, don't forget to specify "Yes" to "Keep Input Attributes" of the Aggregator to keep ToDepth and Material (common attributes of the same well).

Takashi