Question

LAS to Cesium3D tiles

• 10 March 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello everyone, I have successfully converted a LAS point cloud file into a Cesium 3D tile. Now I want to add zoom levels so that my visualization software shows more or fewer points depending on the distance to the point cloud. I want to speed up the display in the browser. The structure of the file structure can be seen in the pictures. Different folders with Tileset.json files and tiling of the point cloud. Does anyone know how I can make such a structure? Does anyone have experience with it? Thank you

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @thomas.s,

I haven't tried it out myself but I recall Dave had an answer from a previous question about the cesium_priority attribute which should help you set up the level of detail control. Perhaps someone else in the community will be able to share their experiences in using it?

Hi @thomas.s,

I haven't tried it out myself but I recall Dave had an answer from a previous question about the cesium_priority attribute which should help you set up the level of detail control. Perhaps someone else in the community will be able to share their experiences in using it?

Hello, thank you very much for your answer. I am not sure if I can get on with it. I only have one file as output data, for example a LAS with millions of measurement points. This does not contain any classification. I would now like to disassemble this file and create a tile structure. I looked at the Transformer Tiler. This processes point clouds. Unfortunately, I cannot set zoom levels for this as with the WebMAPTiler.

Badge +2

Hello, thank you very much for your answer. I am not sure if I can get on with it. I only have one file as output data, for example a LAS with millions of measurement points. This does not contain any classification. I would now like to disassemble this file and create a tile structure. I looked at the Transformer Tiler. This processes point clouds. Unfortunately, I cannot set zoom levels for this as with the WebMAPTiler.

Hi @thomas.s,

Just to clarify are you using the Cesium 3D Point Cloud or Cesium 3D Tiles writer? It doesn't look like the Cesium 3D Point Cloud Writer has the same support for zoom levels using the ceisum_priority format attribute (only on the Cesium 3D Tiles writer).

Regardless, I think it would be worthwhile your suggestions for improvements on the Ideas page as others will be able to show their support for your enhancement requests by upvoting your idea. Alternatively you could contribute to existing ideas like:

the geometricerror must also be adapted (manually, unfortunately), to make cesium show the different LOD.

Would be great if this could be set in FME...