Question

Surface Draper error: Surface Model TIN is full. No room for vertices to be added

• 6 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I'm trying to update the Z coordinate of some features by using the Surface Draper transformer. The height information comes from some GeoTIFF files, but after reading them I get the following error:

Surface Model TIN is full. No room for vertices to be added

SurfaceDraper_5(SurfaceModelFactory): Fail to add a vertex to the Surface Model

I have tried using ascii files instead of the GeoTIFF, but the result is the same. I cannot figure out where the problem is, can anybody help?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @cristinacalvogu,

From the error message, it appears that the SurfaceDraper is getting too many points. I have never seen this condition before, and I would like to create a problem report for our development team, so it would be great if you could send me a copy of your log file.

Please try increasing the Surface Tolerance in the SurfaceDraper. This will filter out points that make little difference to the ground model, decreasing the total number of points used.

Hi @cristinacalvogu,

From the error message, it appears that the SurfaceDraper is getting too many points. I have never seen this condition before, and I would like to create a problem report for our development team, so it would be great if you could send me a copy of your log file.

Please try increasing the Surface Tolerance in the SurfaceDraper. This will filter out points that make little difference to the ground model, decreasing the total number of points used.

Hi @DaveAtSafe,

Following your suggestion, I've increased the Surface Tolerance from the initial value of 0.2 to 0.5, and later to 1, but the error remains. I've also tried setting it to 0, but it gives the same error.

Please find attached the error log.

Thank you very much for your time :-)

surfacemodeltin-error-log.txt

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi @DaveAtSafe,

Following your suggestion, I've increased the Surface Tolerance from the initial value of 0.2 to 0.5, and later to 1, but the error remains. I've also tried setting it to 0, but it gives the same error.

Please find attached the error log.

Thank you very much for your time :-)

surfacemodeltin-error-log.txt

Hi @cristinacalvogu,

The number of inputs points from the GeoTIFFs seems to be extremely large. I think that even without this failure, the SurfaceDraper would take a very long time to finish, or fail with a memory error.

Are you able to resample the GoeTIFFs to a lower resolution, or perhaps clip them to the bounds of the data to be draped?