Question

Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Provider error `(-2147467259) Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53]. '

• 20 June 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a workbench that reads features from a table from Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial and writes (Feature Operation: Update) into the same table. I have read and write permissions, reading is working fine but writing gets the following error message:

Microsoft SQL Server Non-Spatial Writer: Connection failed. <connectionstring>. Provider error `(-2147467259) Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53]. ' Failed to open writer Failed to open writer f_22(CreationFactory): Failed to open writer I've tried several things, but none of them is working. I've read this https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/281/failed-to-connect-using-sql-server-2012-native-cli.html and this https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/39002/connection-issues-to-ms-sql.html Our settings in SQL Server: 'Named Pipes' is Disabled and 'TCP/IP' is Enabled. We can enable 'Named Pipes', but the server service then needs a restart (we don't want to restart it) and we're not sure this will solve the problem. Can we configure it within FME or making a work-around just like a bad SQL Server port (default 1433, but can be configured to another - host\\instance,port ex: --> proserve1\\support,1234)?

FME Desktop Professional Edition

FME 2018.0.0.2 (20180414 - Build 18301 - WIN64)

Windows 10 Enterprise

5 replies

Badge +2

@toin I haven't been able to reproduce your SQL Server error. The most like cause for this SQL Server issue is related to time out of other connection issue - see this forum response.

Would you be able to attached a complete FME log file to this case?

@MarkAtSafe see the attached text file

@MarkAtSafe we've installed the latest FME version 2018.0.1.1 (20180615 - Build 18312 - WIN64) yesterday. Writing into SQL non-spatial database is working right now. Looks like the problem has been solved.

Badge +2

@MarkAtSafe we've installed the latest FME version 2018.0.1.1 (20180615 - Build 18312 - WIN64) yesterday. Writing into SQL non-spatial database is working right now. Looks like the problem has been solved.

Thanks very much for letting us know that the new version of FME resolves the issue.

Badge +2

We're having a similar issue in FME Server 2022.1.

We're trying to connect to MSSQL Server. Everything else is checked and the connection works fine in desktop but gives an error to the one above when publishing to FME Server. The error says it can't connect using Named pipes, but it really should use TCP. Is there somewhere to configure this?