Solved

DateFormatter Issue 2016.1

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Encountered an issue with the DateFormatter in 2016.1

I'm reading a date/time from an Oracle DB and using the DateFormatter to set the destination date format as FME Date (%Y%m%d) using automatic detection on the source date format.

However,every date is returned as invalid.If I set the source explicitly as %Y%m%d%H%M%S it works fine.

If i copy and paste a DateFormatter from a 2015 workspace, it works fine with exactly the same data input.

Is this is known issue, all the dates are valid and auto detection worked fine previously?

icon

Best answer by lenaatsafe 30 June 2016, 20:57

View original

9 replies

Badge

Hi @egomm

this change in DateFormatter behaviour is definitely a concern. Thank you for bringing it to our attention even though you found a workaround. We will investigate the problem. Could you please share your workspace with us? Also, would you mind taking a screenshot so that we can see how the date value looks before entering the DateFormatter? To take the screenshot please add Data Inspector right before the DateFormatter, run your translation once again, and take a Data Inspector screenshot so that the date value can be seen. You can attach both - the workspace and the screenshot - here, in Knowledge Centre Q&A;, or send them to support@safe.com (please add ATTN LENA to the subject line).

Thank you!

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @egomm

this change in DateFormatter behaviour is definitely a concern. Thank you for bringing it to our attention even though you found a workaround. We will investigate the problem. Could you please share your workspace with us? Also, would you mind taking a screenshot so that we can see how the date value looks before entering the DateFormatter? To take the screenshot please add Data Inspector right before the DateFormatter, run your translation once again, and take a Data Inspector screenshot so that the date value can be seen. You can attach both - the workspace and the screenshot - here, in Knowledge Centre Q&A;, or send them to support@safe.com (please add ATTN LENA to the subject line).

Thank you!

Hi @LenaAtSafe, I was able to reproduce the situation easily with FME 2016.1 build 16494.

dateformatter-automatic-detection-issue.fmw (FME 2016.1)

0684Q00000ArMCNQA3.png

Logger: Feature is:+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Feature Type: `Logger_LOGGED'Attribute(64 bit integer): `_datetime' has value `20160630123456'Attribute(string)        : `fme_feature_type' has value `Creator'Attribute(string)        : `fme_geometry' has value `fme_undefined'Attribute(string)        : `fme_type' has value `fme_no_geom'Coordinate System: `'Geometry Type: IFMENull===========================================================================Logger_2: Feature is:+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Feature Type: `Logger_2_LOGGED'Attribute(encoded: utf-8): `_datetime' has value `2016-06-30T12:34:56'Attribute(string)        : `fme_feature_type' has value `Creator'Attribute(string)        : `fme_geometry' has value `fme_undefined'Attribute(string)        : `fme_type' has value `fme_no_geom'Coordinate System: `'Geometry Type: IFMENull===========================================================================<br>
Badge

Hi @LenaAtSafe, I was able to reproduce the situation easily with FME 2016.1 build 16494.

dateformatter-automatic-detection-issue.fmw (FME 2016.1)

0684Q00000ArMCNQA3.png

Logger: Feature is:+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Feature Type: `Logger_LOGGED'Attribute(64 bit integer): `_datetime' has value `20160630123456'Attribute(string)        : `fme_feature_type' has value `Creator'Attribute(string)        : `fme_geometry' has value `fme_undefined'Attribute(string)        : `fme_type' has value `fme_no_geom'Coordinate System: `'Geometry Type: IFMENull===========================================================================Logger_2: Feature is:+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Feature Type: `Logger_2_LOGGED'Attribute(encoded: utf-8): `_datetime' has value `2016-06-30T12:34:56'Attribute(string)        : `fme_feature_type' has value `Creator'Attribute(string)        : `fme_geometry' has value `fme_undefined'Attribute(string)        : `fme_type' has value `fme_no_geom'Coordinate System: `'Geometry Type: IFMENull===========================================================================<br>

@takashi 

thank you for doing the testing.

Badge

Hi @egomm

we are working on DateFormatter right now and plan to have the fix in FME 2016.1.1. Sorry for the inconvenience. And thank you again for reporting the problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

In the meantime, is there a way to use the 2015 DateFormatter which works fine by default in 2016?

Badge +2

In the meantime, is there a way to use the 2015 DateFormatter which works fine by default in 2016?

Try copying it from this 2015 Workspace dateformatter2015.fmw or from of your existing pre 2016 Workspaces

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

I mean set it up so if i type in DateFormatter in 2016 i get the 2015 transformer. I can copy and post from an older workspace but I wanted to set this up for other users.

Badge

Hi @egomm

we have fixed DateFormatter problem - it can detect Oracle dates now. The fix is available in FME 2016.1.1. Please download the most recent FME 2016.1.1 beta install from http://www.safe.com/support/support-resources/fme... and give it a try. Once FME 2016.1.1 is released, its install will relocate to http://www.safe.com/support/support-resources/fme...

Thank you for your patience.

Badge
Thanks for the tip to explicitly set the source as %Y%m%d%H%M%S. This works for me.