Question

Privacy data

• 16 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge

Is it possible to make data anonymous before it is read in the workbench.

I have found the attributecompressor but theoretically I can read the privacy data before it is compressed.

5 replies

Userlevel 4

Here's a possible solution:

1. Creator
  2. SQLExecutor to perform "blanket obfuscation"
  3. FeatureReader to read the data into FME

Alternatively you could look into doing it in the Python startup script.

But in practice and in particular if the data is very sensitive, I would look into doing this long before the workspace that reads the data comes into play.

Badge

1. Creator

But in practice and in particular if the data is very sensitive, I would look into doing this long before the workspace that reads the data comes into play.

what do you mean with 2. SQLExecutor to perform "blanket obfuscation" ?

do you have a sql example?

Userlevel 4

what do you mean with 2. SQLExecutor to perform "blanket obfuscation" ?

do you have a sql example?

Sure, I guess I could've been more clear :-)

I was thinking of something along the lines of

update my_table_with_sensitive_data
set sensitive_data_column = 'obfuscated'

The idea being that the sensitive data would never even make it into FME, only the string "obfuscated" (or whatever). Of course there are quite a few if's with this example so it might not fit your scenario 100%, but hopefully it can give you an idea.

Badge

1. Creator

what you do is change the values of the sensitive data to one value. i want to read data and within the readerto use the attibutecompressor to make the data anonymous. so i can analyze the data but not be able to read the privacy data

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

what you do is change the values of the sensitive data to one value. i want to read data and within the readerto use the attibutecompressor to make the data anonymous. so i can analyze the data but not be able to read the privacy data

The only way to do that is to create a custom transformer where you have a FeatureReader and the AttributeCompressor, but then you still have a moment where the sensitive data is being read.