Question

Polygon edges need to be flush against neighboring polygon

• 2 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge

Hey everyone,

I have an interesting dilemma, I hope can be solved. I have an interior building spaces that have polygons for rooms. In between each room polygon is a gap that represents the wall. My objective is to somehow push the polygon edges towards one another in order to eliminate the gaps. I have tried numerous ways, including Densifier + Anchored Snapping (which works somewhat, but the polygons look funky), Generalizer + Anchored Snapping (again room polygons look funky) . Below is a screen shot of what it looks like.

Any assistance/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

How about using a Bufferer to buffer all polygons by 0.5 the wall thickness?

Would that work?

Badge

Thanks @erik_jan! I used the Bufferer transformer with a 0.5 tolerance, as suggested. It created the a polygon for the gaps (wall), however I need merge the gap polygons with the room polygons. I used the area on area overlayer to combine then used Dissolver, Grouped by: Name, to hopefully merge the two together. It worked for some, but not all. Would Dissolver be the most appropriate transformer for this task?buffer-gaps.png

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Thanks @erik_jan! I used the Bufferer transformer with a 0.5 tolerance, as suggested. It created the a polygon for the gaps (wall), however I need merge the gap polygons with the room polygons. I used the area on area overlayer to combine then used Dissolver, Grouped by: Name, to hopefully merge the two together. It worked for some, but not all. Would Dissolver be the most appropriate transformer for this task?buffer-gaps.png

I believe the tolerance should be half the wall thickness, not 0.5.

Then you probably do not need the Dissolver as the buffer is added to the room.

Badge

But wouldn't the Buffer be an additional polygon? In the end it needs to look like the attached screenshot.end-result.png

The screenshot shows each room as one polygon and each polygon edges are joined. (No gaps).

Userlevel 2
Badge +16
But wouldn't the Buffer be an additional polygon? In the end it needs to look like the attached screenshot.end-result.png

The screenshot shows each room as one polygon and each polygon edges are joined. (No gaps).

The Bufferer enlarges the rooms by the buffer amount, it does not create a separate buffer geometry.

Badge
The Bufferer enlarges the rooms by the buffer amount, it does not create a separate buffer geometry.

Ah okay. I did not know it did that. Do you know if there's a way to say to extend to your neighbor instead of specifying a specific distance? Some have a different distance. I can filter those out, but I rather not have multiple buffers.

Thanks for you help!
Userlevel 2
Badge +16
Ah okay. I did not know it did that. Do you know if there's a way to say to extend to your neighbor instead of specifying a specific distance? Some have a different distance. I can filter those out, but I rather not have multiple buffers.

Thanks for you help!
extend to your neighbor would be the Snapper (snapping type segment).

Badge +3

Hello,

I'm stuck at the some challenge.

What I got so far:

That's using the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner. The GapCleaner needs a bit of help with a rectangular Bufferer and it turns out ok? Not great, but ok...

• The Generalizer helps simplifying the geometry.

But I think the proper way would be to add the walls, split them by the middle axis and merge them with the room areas.