Question

Writing Raster into ESRI Raster GDB takes time

• 10 April 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

I'm processing a vector data containing 500000 features to a raster data using numeric rasterizer and then writing it in a raster gdb. The conversion of vector to raster happens quickly but writing the raster in to the gdb takes unexpectedly more time. It runs for hours. I'm not sure how can I improve the writing time.

Please help!

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

What have you specified for the raster properties in the NumericRasterizer and what is the bbox extent of your vector data? These two combined can result in a huuuge raster.

Badge +5

What have you specified for the raster properties in the NumericRasterizer and what is the bbox extent of your vector data? These two combined can result in a huuuge raster.

Hi, below are the properties given,

Badge +5

The bbox extent is quite big. The input vector feature covers whole of USA. But, even when I feed only 1000 features in takes around 7 min to write into Raster gdb. This is not the same with Arcpy. The performance is faster in Arcpy when compared to FME. Not sure if I'm going wrong anywhere or it is the actual performance issue with FME
Userlevel 4
Badge +25
The bbox extent is quite big. The input vector feature covers whole of USA. But, even when I feed only 1000 features in takes around 7 min to write into Raster gdb. This is not the same with Arcpy. The performance is faster in Arcpy when compared to FME. Not sure if I'm going wrong anywhere or it is the actual performance issue with FME

I don't have ArcGIS installed so I can't check the Geodatabase raster writer. Could you try writing to another raster format, e.g. GeoTIFF, and see how long that takes?

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your settings, assuming it's "just" the continental US and your units are meters I'm expecting a raster of about 11000 x 6400 pixels, which is big but not really excessively and I would certainly expect it to write faster than "hours"

Badge +5

GeoTIFF is faster and writes in very few seconds( 1000 features). Not clear about ESRI Raster dataset performance.