Question

Reading multiple geometry using sql executor

• 28 September 2017
  • 13 replies

Badge +3

Can I read multiple geometry using sqlexecutor. In my case , i dont have two geometry in one table. i am extracting/constructing multiple (2) geometry from different tables and the sql gives resultset with two geometries in one row.

two geometry from sql resultset not from one table

and later i will deaggregate this and use these geometries for different purposes.

how can i achieve this using fme?

13 replies

Userlevel 4

Which database are you using and how are the geometries stored?

One solution could be to cast both geometries to e.g. WKB and then use two separate GeometryReplacers to extract the geometries. Something like (pseudo-code):

select 
  as_binary(t1.geom) as geom1, 
  as_binary(t2.geom) as geom2
from 
  mytable1 t1 join mytable2 t2 on t1.id=t2.id

Then expose "geom1" and "geom2" and send them to the GeometryReplacer as OGC Well-Known Binary.

Badge +3

Which database are you using and how are the geometries stored?

One solution could be to cast both geometries to e.g. WKB and then use two separate GeometryReplacers to extract the geometries. Something like (pseudo-code):

select 
  as_binary(t1.geom) as geom1, 
  as_binary(t2.geom) as geom2
from 
  mytable1 t1 join mytable2 t2 on t1.id=t2.id

Then expose "geom1" and "geom2" and send them to the GeometryReplacer as OGC Well-Known Binary.

@david_r oracle sql says as_binary invalid identifier

as_binary

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Why do you need to use the SQLExecutor transformer and not an Oracle Spatial reader or the FeatureReader.

In your case the SQLExecutor seems to complicate matters only.

Userlevel 4

For Oracle Spatial, use:

SDO_UTIL.TO_WKBGEOMETRY(geom)

Doc: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/appdev.111/b28400/sdo_util.htm#SPATL1250

For ArcSDE with an Oracle backend, use:

sde.st_asbinary(geom)

Doc: http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/using-sql-with-gdbs/st-asbinary.htm

Userlevel 4

Why do you need to use the SQLExecutor transformer and not an Oracle Spatial reader or the FeatureReader.

It's pretty handy if you need to join several tables and haven't got the option of creating a view in the database.
Userlevel 4
@david_r oracle sql says as_binary invalid identifier

as_binary

It's pseudo-code, you'll have to replace that with whatever your backend supports.
Badge +3

i extractring the data by joining many tables. i use oracle spatial.

Badge +3

@david_r

my database is oracle spatial

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

OK, I can see the point.

But in this example I would use two SQLCreators (not SQLExecutors), each with a query containing 1 geometry.

No need to de-aggregate afterwards.

Badge +3

@david_r

Thank you David.

Userlevel 4
OK, I can see the point.

But in this example I would use two SQLCreators (not SQLExecutors), each with a query containing 1 geometry.

No need to de-aggregate afterwards.

Not sure I follow. You mean doing the join in the workspace rather than in the database?
Userlevel 2
Badge +12
Not sure I follow. You mean doing the join in the workspace rather than in the database?
Yes, if needed. But according to the question, two geometries are read, aggregated by the read and afterwards de-aggregated to be used separately. If used separately, why join in the first place?

Userlevel 4
Yes, if needed. But according to the question, two geometries are read, aggregated by the read and afterwards de-aggregated to be used separately. If used separately, why join in the first place?

Ah, I see. I must admit I didn't take the "aggregate" bit literally in this context.