Question

FMECloud - disk space usage

• 16 April 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge +21

UPDATE: The error was not any hidden files in FMECloud - but rather that the process using AzureFileStorageConnector downloaded a whole FOLDER instead of individual files. So instead of downloading a file of size 0,5 GB - it downloaded all the files in that folder (50GB). Havent figured out why yet, but might be something between the screen and the person sitting in front of the computer.

I have a FMECloud instance with 100GB Primary disk, and it seems according to the Dashboard that 97GB is in use. I can only find roughly 60GB in the DATA-folder. And FME Cloud seems to run the cleanup. So i wonder where the missing 40GB of data is. The projects uses a lot of raster-data, so I wonder if they are cached somewhere, or if the FFS is somewhere. But cant seem to figure out what to empty.

Moving to a larger instance might be a solution, but Backup 100 GB, download, start new instance 200 GB and restore takes some time....

Would be GREAT to be able to RESIZE the PRIMARY and Secondary disk of FMECloud

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

The internal PostGres database will take up some space as well of course and that won't be visible in the Resources. Checking it in pgAdmin should give you an idea of how much space exactly.

And there's the OS and FME Server install as well.

Badge

Hi @sigtill,

Decreasing the size of an existing disk is not possible and not supported by the cloud service provider we use for the FME Cloud infrastructure. We can "decrease" the size of the temporary disk because the existing disk is replaced with a new empty smaller disk. The data is not persisted. The primary disk cannot be replaced by a smaller disk with reasonable effort while persisting the data. Update: But you can always increase the size of the primary disk.

Regarding the primary disk space on your FME Cloud instance, we can offer you to investigate the usage. I've seen rare cases of workspaces that write data to locations on the disk that might not be browsable by the user via the FME Server Web UI. This is usually not intentional but potentially very hard to detect by the user. Please contact our support if you'd like us to take a closer look at this.

Thanks
Badge +21

Hi @sigtill,

Decreasing the size of an existing disk is not possible and not supported by the cloud service provider we use for the FME Cloud infrastructure. We can "decrease" the size of the temporary disk because the existing disk is replaced with a new empty smaller disk. The data is not persisted. The primary disk cannot be replaced by a smaller disk with reasonable effort while persisting the data. Update: But you can always increase the size of the primary disk.

Regarding the primary disk space on your FME Cloud instance, we can offer you to investigate the usage. I've seen rare cases of workspaces that write data to locations on the disk that might not be browsable by the user via the FME Server Web UI. This is usually not intentional but potentially very hard to detect by the user. Please contact our support if you'd like us to take a closer look at this.

Thanks

Thx (C153746)

Badge

The internal PostGres database will take up some space as well of course and that won't be visible in the Resources. Checking it in pgAdmin should give you an idea of how much space exactly.

And there's the OS and FME Server install as well.

Totally agree with the PostgreSQL statement. @sigtill if you are using the internal PostGIS to store data you won't be able to see it on the Web UI.

Badge +21

Totally agree with the PostgreSQL statement. @sigtill if you are using the internal PostGIS to store data you won't be able to see it on the Web UI.

No data (Except for logs etc) stored in internal database.

Badge +21

Hi @sigtill,

Thanks

Just for clarification I am looking to INCREASE the size of the primary disk, but I think that is also not possible.

Badge

Just for clarification I am looking to INCREASE the size of the primary disk, but I think that is also not possible.

Yes you can expand the primary disk:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/63016/getting-started-with-fme-cloud-instance-resizing.html
Badge +21

THIS IS GOLD! Thanks.