Question

FME virtual server sizing suggestions

• 16 July 2018
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

New to FME here. We are looking to install FME onto a virtual server (vX Rail platform), a single engine, express install.

In the short to medium term we will be using FME moderately however some of the jobs we plan to run will be resource intensive (90 GB file conversions from GML to .SHP as an example, once every quarter).

Our proposed setup would be, single server with 1 vCPU, 100 GB disk space for OS and FME server install, 1TB for DB repository and any other stuff such as scratch space, paging etc. Additionally we are considering 32 or 64 GB of RAM.

What are your opinions on this proposed configuration? Looking at various other posts people are using much less RAM so I'm wondering if this is overkill, or is it actually sensible?

How relevant is disk space to overall performance? would 500gb be sufficient for temp storage and the database?

Thoughts would be appreciated!

1 reply

Badge +2

Hi @abdatageek,

I would have thought 500gb would be plenty for your temp and db storage. As long as you have enough disk space for what you need to do, you’d more likely see performance vary based on disk speed.

We do recommend 1 core/cpu per engine, so if you ever plan to expand your fme server engines that might be something to consider.

I can’t see you running into any problems with what you’ve suggested. It might be better to set up some monitoring tools on your server to monitor how much ram,cpu, disk space etc is being used by FME Server when running your normal jobs and your one big job, and adjust your system as necessary. That would be the most accurate way to determine what requirements you need for the processes that you’ll be running.