Solved

Generate simple trees from Point Cloud (LIDAR)

• 22 February 2018
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I want to create simple mesh trees from Point Cloud (LIDAR) in FME.

And the closest thing I came to was with the "PointCloudSurfaceBuilder" transformer.

Can anybody help me with this, please.

The file is the way I want the final trees look like (it seems like it is about 8 piece of pentagon polygons for each tree).

And the file is the closest I came in FME.

I attach the FME-Workbench file and the input LAS file (and it looks like this ).

Best regards,

Jonas

icon

Best answer by redgeographics 27 February 2018, 15:14

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Your point cloud is waaaaaay too detailed. You could try thinning it (PointCloudThinner) but I doubt you'd get to the desired result.

One idea I had when I was looking into this a while ago was try and represent a tree by several stacked cylinders. So at x cm vertical intervals lump the points together (buffer them and dissolving the buffers, find all points that intersect the buffer and create a hull for those, determine the diameter of the hull and then place a cylinder with that diameter and thickness centered on the centerpoint. Still clunky but it might just work. I don't think I have a workspace that shows that though.

Your point cloud is waaaaaay too detailed. You could try thinning it (PointCloudThinner) but I doubt you'd get to the desired result.

One idea I had when I was looking into this a while ago was try and represent a tree by several stacked cylinders. So at x cm vertical intervals lump the points together (buffer them and dissolving the buffers, find all points that intersect the buffer and create a hull for those, determine the diameter of the hull and then place a cylinder with that diameter and thickness centered on the centerpoint. Still clunky but it might just work. I don't think I have a workspace that shows that though.

Hi redgeographics,

Okay, thanks for checking this out.

Yes, maybe that is working, I dont know.

I am sorry but I need every detailed help I can get in this case...

How about a AutoCAD blocksymbol that replace the height and width of the trees LAS data? But how do I do that in FME?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Jonas
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

If you turn the point cloud into individual points (PointCloudCoercer) you can buffer/dissolve them to create an outline that more or less confirms to the tree shape. Using a CoordinateExtractor before the buffering gives you the coordinate values, you can then have the Dissolver create a list of the z-values and use a ListRangeExtractor to get the min and max height out of the tree. For the diameter it's a bit trickier but getting the bounds from the tree shape (minus a bit to account for the buffering) and then get the average of the x and y difference should give you a relatively accurate estimate (unless the tree is awkwardly shaped). From there you could start building your idealised version.

I don't usually work with AutoCAD so I'm not sure either how a block would be used, but it sounds like a viable approach.

If you turn the point cloud into individual points (PointCloudCoercer) you can buffer/dissolve them to create an outline that more or less confirms to the tree shape. Using a CoordinateExtractor before the buffering gives you the coordinate values, you can then have the Dissolver create a list of the z-values and use a ListRangeExtractor to get the min and max height out of the tree. For the diameter it's a bit trickier but getting the bounds from the tree shape (minus a bit to account for the buffering) and then get the average of the x and y difference should give you a relatively accurate estimate (unless the tree is awkwardly shaped). From there you could start building your idealised version.

I don't usually work with AutoCAD so I'm not sure either how a block would be used, but it sounds like a viable approach.

Hi again redgeographics,

I have tested your suggestion now and it worked great but I cannot figure out the last part that replace the centerpoint with a symbol that I can scale in size (I tried the Pointstyler without success).

Is there someone else out there how can help with this?

Thanxs alot redgeographics!

Best regards,

Jonas

Hi again,

Now I have help with the DWG Symbol solution at https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/64958/replace-point-with-symbol-from-a-dwg.html?

So I close this question.

Best regards,

Jonas

Hi this is a similar problem i have - but i want to export powerline lidar points into linear strings of best fit and write a dxf - any ideas

thanks

Badge +20

Hi this is a similar problem i have - but i want to export powerline lidar points into linear strings of best fit and write a dxf - any ideas

thanks

You can classify the points belonging to powerlines (lasstools), filter just that class, 3D buffer points, dissolve and extract centerline.