Question

best practice: having users publish their data themselves

Badge +6
  • Contributor
  • 53 replies

We have one database, where only data-owners have access to edit their own data. When they have finished editing, we publish the data for them to another database, where all of our customers have read-only access.

From there, some of the data is then published to yet another database for our WebGIS, first in the test-environment, and when it's ok to the production. Depending on the data, there are sometimes even more steps to do.

Now with FME-Server, we want the users to publish their data themselves.

What would be the best way to set this up? In Server Apps you can run just one workbench, so we would have to have two or more Server Apps apps in a row... Is there a possibility to link them in one page, without having to code anything?

Or is there another way to set this up?

thanks in advance, Vera

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Server Apps could be one way to do it, I haven't experimented myself though so I can't really comment on it.

Another way (which is sadly probably more work) is if you create a web page which you can use like one of these: https://playground.fmeserver.com/demos/

I think that the FME Server Apps provide an easy way to have this functionality without all the work of building a page, but as you mentioned there are perhaps limitations.

At least with the server app(s) you should be able to set up a test quick enough so see if it is worth perusing.
Badge +2

Personal preference for myself is to never let too many hands in the cookie jar at once.

Have you considered an update cycle such as every 30 min or 1 hour?

Example;

• Users edit/save at 8:40am on the edit database
  • FME spawns at 9:00am
    • QC/QC data for validity (if any)
    • FME change detection for updates, adds, deletes with destination database
    • Edits are pushed to customer database after operation identified
    • Queried records are pushed to web mapping database in same way
      • You may consider using spatial views instead of copying the data

Rinse and repeat every 30 minutes or 1 hour that everyone agrees on. That cuts out the need for any action to be taken by any users. It just happens behind the scenes.

Badge +16

You can use the app as a starting point, where the upload takes place and connet it to an automation (using a topic as a trigger), where you can run multiple workspaces to process the data futher.

Hope this helps.