Question

Column specified in mapping file but not definied in exisiting table

• 10 April 2015
  • 4 replies

Badge
I am trying to join attributes from three SDE tables into an SDE feature class. I keep getting an error saying "Column 'Customer_ID' of type 'char(50)' specified in mapping file but not defined in existing table 'PARKS.CEMETERY_SPACES_BURIAL_CUSTOMERS'", where 'Customer_ID' is a new field I'm adding from one of the joins, and 'PARKS.CEMETERY_SPACES_BURIAL_CUSTOMERS' is the feature class I want to write all of the results to (I have built it so it has all of the resulting fields already created, but it is currently sitting empty). Has anyone seen an error like this before? I'm using an Esri ArcSDE writer and reader.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

if the field "Customer_ID" doesn't already exist in the target feature class, you will probably have to add it manually first using ArcCatalog.

David
Userlevel 4
Forgot to say: if your output feature class already has "Customer_ID" it in, there might be a slight difference between the definition in ArcGIS and FME that triggers the error. I would then recommend that you import the existing feature type defintion into FME (Writers / Import feature types...) rather than typing it manually.

David

Badge
Thanks for your response David. The field Customer_ID did exist, but your recommendation to import it rather than typing it works. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

I have the same error with an integer column but I have only been importing in the feature types and everything is already created in my SDE. I am going SQL Server to SDE which I have done many times before successfully. I tried recreating this feature class a dozen times using the original SQL Server table as a template and it still doesn't work! The log gives me this error but then says it wrote all the features and was successful, yet the feature class is still blank...