Question

Joining to an existing excel spreadsheet

• 23 October 2015
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
Hi,

I have an existing excel spreadsheet that I want to update with values calculated in an FME workbench.

The existing excel spreadsheet contains a column with a unique ID that I want to join on from the data in the FME workbench.

I know how to join within a workbench using FeatureMerger or Joiner, but trying to join on a writer seems a bit more difficult.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

3 replies

Badge +2
Hi,

I dont understand what do you mean by "Join on writer"... I think, you want to fill attributes based on the unique ID wise.

Is there any issue, if you writer in new file along with unique ID and use that file?
Badge +1
Hi Pratap, thank you for your response. 

Yes I worded it quite badly, what I want to do is add a value in the same row as the unique ID in the existing spreadsheet.  I actually worked out that I could do this by exposing the "xlsx_row_id" in the "Format Attributes" of the reader and then in the writer "Format Parameters" I selected the "xlsx_row_id" as the "Row ID Attribute".

This then ensured that the values were populated in the appropriate rows.
Badge

Glad to hear that you worked it out. This post has some other useful excel writing tips similar to what you are describing:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/29982/working-with-the-excel-writer.html