Question

Set color, linetype, and description for dynamic layers in dwg writer

• 16 January 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello,

I am working on converting GIS data to a CAD standard. I have a template file, but the template file has root information (e.g. pipe, manhole layers) but I need to also include status information in the layer name (e.g. pipe-new, pipe-existing layers).

I cannot seem to be able to create the new layers with the information from the template layers.

I have a spreadsheet that has the name of the layer, the color, linetype, and description. I would like to be able to set the writer to use this information when generating the dynamic layer (e.g. pipe-new).

Here are the things I have tried to resolve this:

• Used DWG Styler - This might work, but it doesn't allow for description and it also doesn't use acad index colors as inputs
  • autocad_color attribute - This attribute is feature specific and does not apply to the full layer. It does make the output look right visually, but it does not follow the layer standard.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have on how to do this.

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @guidos,

Thanks for your question! I've received your case and just sent off an email asking for sample data and the dwg template. I'm taking a look at the workspace you sent and I noticed a few things that might be causing some issues (unfortunately it was after i sent the email):

• in the AttributeCreator, it's not usually a good practice to change the value of fme_feature_type. It may be better to create a new attribute here to set to cad_layer_name or something else with the value of the layer-status. You can then fanout on this new attribute instead
  • it might be worth a try to set the DWGStyler after the FeatureMerger to ensure the source data is picking up the attributes set from the CSV

I'll be able to better help you when I have some sample data to test it out, feel free to send it via email if your data is private. In the meantime, if anyone from the Community has any other suggestions, please do chime in as well!