Question

Points to elevation model

• 15 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello!

Is there a simple way to get an elevation model from a set om points that I have measured with GNSS? It seems like a simple thing to connect the z-values of my points with 3D-lines that builds triangles and then color them in a visually good way, but I just cant find out how to do it?

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

You can use a SurfaceModeller or TinGenerator or RasterDEMGenerator to do this.

Badge

You can use a SurfaceModeller or TinGenerator or RasterDEMGenerator to do this.

Yes, but I dont get it with the breaklines? Why are they necessary? I have just points and I want to create a simple picture of the terrain. My GNSS-equipment can do this for me instantly but I just cant export it to somethin useful. Taking a picture of the screen feels unprofessional... : )

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

Yes, but I dont get it with the breaklines? Why are they necessary? I have just points and I want to create a simple picture of the terrain. My GNSS-equipment can do this for me instantly but I just cant export it to somethin useful. Taking a picture of the screen feels unprofessional... : )

They are not. You can just feed it the points and it will work.

Badge +11

Hi @tobiasp, adding onto @nielsgerrits answer, here's an example from Converting Point Clouds to Surface Models without Classification. This one shows a working example of the SurfaceModeller with just the points input.

Sorry it's a bit misleading that it looks like it needs multiple inputs. I'll see what I can dig up on that, if there's any existing issue reported, and get back to you.

---

update: I've filed an issue (FMEENGINE-61841) to see if this can be improved or find out what the reasoning is behind multiple red input ports. I'll let you know as soon as it's been addressed. Thanks for bringing it up!

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Another useful transformer is the ContourGenerator.

That transformer will generate contour lines from points.

Hope this helps.