Question

How to convert from SQL Server geometry BLOB to shapefile?

Badge

Hello,

I'm trying to create geometry from Sql Server geometry Blob to shapefile. I'm trying geometryextractor but it is not working.

(I can not create geometry in Sql server; I can only read data).

Thanks for help

19 replies

Badge +6
Hi @miladahmad,

Typically, when BLOB data is stored in a database, it is for storing large files like images and multimedia. May I ask if you know what the BLOB data represents in this case?

Badge
Hi @miladahmad,

Typically, when BLOB data is stored in a database, it is for storing large files like images and multimedia. May I ask if you know what the BLOB data represents in this case?

it should be polyline ( I have no idea why they do it like that)

Userlevel 6
Badge +32
Equal to this problem?

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/160629/how-to-convert-from-sql-server-geometry-blob-to-something-else
Badge
Equal to this problem?

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/160629/how-to-convert-from-sql-server-geometry-blob-to-something-else
thanks, I saw it. I'm searching a solution with FME (As I mentionned above, I can only read data from SQL server and I can not create table in in Sql Server data base).

Badge

Have you tried using the GeometryExtractor transformer with the geometry encoding as 'OGC Well Known Binary'?

Badge

Have you tried using the GeometryExtractor transformer with the geometry encoding as 'OGC Well Known Binary'?

I did not explained it correctly, sorry. There is no generated geometry in the sql sevrer. I'm tying to get the blob column with FME to generate the geometry (the geometry information is in the blob column). thanks any way for your help

Badge
I did not explained it correctly, sorry. There is no generated geometry in the sql sevrer. I'm tying to get the blob column with FME to generate the geometry (the geometry information is in the blob column). thanks any way for your help

miladahmad , I noticed that there is even an option 'Microsoft SQL Server Binary' you can select. If the BLOB is only the geometry, than that should generate a geometry.

So the geometry definition is just a part of the BLOB? In that case, I would recommend to try filtering it with regex and/or a StringSearcher transformer. If you are unfamiliar with regex, you could give me an example and I can try to look at it?

Badge
miladahmad , I noticed that there is even an option 'Microsoft SQL Server Binary' you can select. If the BLOB is only the geometry, than that should generate a geometry.

So the geometry definition is just a part of the BLOB? In that case, I would recommend to try filtering it with regex and/or a StringSearcher transformer. If you are unfamiliar with regex, you could give me an example and I can try to look at it?

thanks for your time. I tried geometry extractor with Microsoft SQL Server Binary then I use GeometryReplacer (I do not if this is the correct one to use after extractor) but I got the table does not include a spatial column Geometry will not be read

Badge
thanks for your time. I tried geometry extractor with Microsoft SQL Server Binary then I use GeometryReplacer (I do not if this is the correct one to use after extractor) but I got the table does not include a spatial column Geometry will not be read

You mean the GeometryExtractor just extracts an empty geometry?

Is it possible to send some data? Just a couple BLOB's in a text file might be enough to see what is going on.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @miladahmad, how is the geometry stored? Is it WKT or SQL Server Binary? You can try using the GeometryReplacer which allows you to set the geometry encoding and select which attribute stores the geometry.

Badge +2
@miladahmad It might help if you could identify the application that created the table with the 'blob' field in your SQl Server database. That might help the community determine how to unscramble the blob for you.
Badge
@miladahmad It might help if you could identify the application that created the table with the 'blob' field in your SQl Server database. That might help the community determine how to unscramble the blob for you.
they said that is blob gemedia. I tried to connect with Intergraph GeoMedia SQL Server Warehouse but it did not work. So I tried to convert blolb to binary by sql executor

select cast(geomconvert.geombinary as geometry) as geom from

(select

cast(temp.wkb as varbinary(max)) as geombinary

from

(select [BlobColumn] as wkb from dbo.[MyTable]

) as temp

) as geomconvert

and I got as error

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "geometry": System.ArgumentException: 24100: The spatial reference identifier (SRID) is not valid. SRIDs must be between 0 and 999999.

System.ArgumentException:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.set_Srid(Int32 value)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.SqlGeometry.Read(BinaryReader r)

at SqlGeometry::.DeserializeValidate(IntPtr , Int32 , CClrLobContext* )

may be that will indicate the problem

Badge

Hi @miladahmad, how is the geometry stored? Is it WKT or SQL Server Binary? You can try using the GeometryReplacer which allows you to set the geometry encoding and select which attribute stores the geometry.

I tried it but I got error from geometrreplacer (rejected)

Badge

example of attribte of blob column

C2FFD20FBC8CCF11ABDE08003601B76904000000C08C935DE4181D41375658B7481303410000000000000000FA4A2959AA181D41EF9560B9BB13034100000000000000006324DE380E181D41A9F7511D3116034100000000000000004131146754181D41350713DC7A1603410000000000000000

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
@miladahmad, Please try "Encoded Polyline". I was able to get geometry from your example.
Badge
@miladahmad, Please try "Encoded Polyline". I was able to get geometry from your example.
can you please write what you did? I already tested it and it did not work.

Badge

I do not know if you get sopmething from that (I attached an example). thanks

example.txt

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

Sorry to bring this up from the past, but was there a resolution to this issue? I'm trying to read data including geometry stored in an Intergraph/Geomedia SQL database using SQLExecutor Microsoft SQL Server Spatial format. Intergraph SQL is not an option in the SQLExecutor for some reason. I have tried the 'Encoded Polyline' method in the GeometryReplacer, but the geometry is not correct.

Badge +2

Sorry to bring this up from the past, but was there a resolution to this issue? I'm trying to read data including geometry stored in an Intergraph/Geomedia SQL database using SQLExecutor Microsoft SQL Server Spatial format. Intergraph SQL is not an option in the SQLExecutor for some reason. I have tried the 'Encoded Polyline' method in the GeometryReplacer, but the geometry is not correct.

@dustin​ This is not available in SQLExecutor because of the custom geometry. You have to use the Intergraph GeoMedia SQL Server Warehouse reader.