Question

update hundreds of schedules' parameter value

• 21 June 2020
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge

Hello,

I need to update one parameter for all my schedules (about 300 active schedules). I'm looking for the easiest way for that.

I tried to do it manually on FME configuration DB but I can see then even though parameters are updated still schedule is executed with old values. It takes effect only after editing schedule using FME Web Portal, then I can see updated value and when I click save schedule is updated. I believe that this is because of some kind of cache mechanism on fme scheduling system.

So is there any way to force FME to reread values of parameters (for example by restarting some components?). Please keep in ming that I have a lot of engines on different machines.

Second option that comes to my ming is to use REST API but it is not as easy as executing update script on DB. And executing script on DB has advantage that it can be a transaction so either I have all schedules updated or none. Using REST API doesn't give me that out of the box.

Thanks for any hints! Cheers!

1 reply

Badge +11

Can you confirm... "update one parameter"?

Is this a published parameter that is common on all workspaces that you've scheduled? Or is it for one of the schedule settings?

As for the mechanism... yes I suspect it is cached and not actually updating in memory to become persistent. It is not advisable to use the back door... sometimes the trap door opens on you. ;) I recall an exchange I had with you in 2018 where you were attempting to disable all schedules via SQL statement but found that when this was exported and imported into another system the schedules would never run - this is still not been investigated due to the interest to support editing the database directly like this. It's a sketchy practice... but I completely understand why you are attempting to do the bulk edits this way.

For the second option, the REST API is your best bet if you can do what you want... read in all schedules, parse and pass back the changes. You could build in smarts to capture the updates that do not occur properly. It might be more effort but it is certainly safe and recommended at this time.

We are having a review of this request to see if there is a better way for you.