Solved

In my SW to Postgres geodatabase dynamic translation using SchemaMapper, there are two attempts to connect to Smallworld and the second one always hangs so the translation doesn't complete. Anyone know a way around this?

Badge

icon

Best answer by erik_jan 11 August 2017, 21:26

View original

10 replies

Badge

Attaching the log file in case that's of help. sw-cathodics-to-ffs-and-shp3.txt

Badge
Attaching the workspace. sw-cathodics-to-ffs-and-shp3.fmw.

We're on Smallworld Version 4.2 and FME version 2017.1 Build 17539 - WIN32

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

From the log file it seems you are using two readers to the same Smallworld instance using the same port. SmallWorld can limit the number of connections. Not sure what Magik command to use to set the number of allowed connections higher.

Could you use one reader and import both tables in that one reader instead? Then you will need only one connection to SmallWorld to read both tables.

Look to import using the Readers > Import Feature Types menu.

Badge

From the log file it seems you are using two readers to the same Smallworld instance using the same port. SmallWorld can limit the number of connections. Not sure what Magik command to use to set the number of allowed connections higher.

Could you use one reader and import both tables in that one reader instead? Then you will need only one connection to SmallWorld to read both tables.

Look to import using the Readers > Import Feature Types menu.

Well there's only one reader with two feature types (one of which is disabled). Not sure why from the log it appears that there are two readers.workspace-screenshot.png

Badge +11
@angela - Does this happen with all workspaces – for example, if you created a new workspace?

I tested in FME 2017.1 Build 17539 with 1 Smallworld 4/5 Reader and multiple Feature Types, but I could not reproduce this issue.

Though I must note that I am connecting to Smallworld 4.3.0.7 (and likely using newer DLLs). We unfortunately do not have a Smallworld 4.2 installation to test with.

Badge
@angela - Does this happen with all workspaces – for example, if you created a new workspace?

I tested in FME 2017.1 Build 17539 with 1 Smallworld 4/5 Reader and multiple Feature Types, but I could not reproduce this issue.

Though I must note that I am connecting to Smallworld 4.3.0.7 (and likely using newer DLLs). We unfortunately do not have a Smallworld 4.2 installation to test with.

Yes I tried creating a new workspace and got the same result unfortunately. We're moving our enterprise GIS from Smallworld to ESRI on postgres SDE (and were hoping to leverage FME in translating directly to PG geodb). So we won't be upgrading to the SW version you have.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Sorry, but I found this line twice in the log:

Connecting to Smallworld on localhost:30000 using service FME

I can not understand why FME would try to connect twice to SmallWorld if only one Reader is involved (and not SmallWorld writer of connecting transformers).

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Yes I tried creating a new workspace and got the same result unfortunately. We're moving our enterprise GIS from Smallworld to ESRI on postgres SDE (and were hoping to leverage FME in translating directly to PG geodb). So we won't be upgrading to the SW version you have.

You could look into the SpatialBiz plugin, combined with the FME database Edition.

Spatialbiz plugin for FME

Badge

Sorry, but I found this line twice in the log:

Connecting to Smallworld on localhost:30000 using service FME

I can not understand why FME would try to connect twice to SmallWorld if only one Reader is involved (and not SmallWorld writer of connecting transformers).

Yes, I see that. I think the reason it's trying to connect a second time is because the writer is dynamic. When the writer isn't dynamic we don't seem to get the second attempt to connect to Smallworld.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16
Yes, I see that. I think the reason it's trying to connect a second time is because the writer is dynamic. When the writer isn't dynamic we don't seem to get the second attempt to connect to Smallworld.

That makes sense. The dynamic writer is trying to verify the schema. Could you use a FeatureReader instead of the reader. That transformer reads both data and schema in one go.