Question

Access point cloud in memory

• 29 November 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to read in a point cloud (e57, las, xyz...), into an fme workbench, then use a "SystemCaller" Transformer, allowing me to do some processing on the point cloud before terminating the workbench?

I think this would require me to have access to the point cloud that is read into memory, but I am not sure if it is possible to access this point cloud, or is it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

~ Orso

6 replies

Badge +16

Hi @danielc, not sure what you are trying to achieve, but using a third party tool (LASTools) with FME is described here:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/22826/command-line-tools-integration.html

Hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @itay, I did notice the article before, and I am trying to do something similar. In my case, I am trying to implement pcl (point cloud library), using the "SystemCaller", in order to convert an xyz to a pcd. Is there a way to read in the xyz, then run the "SystemCaller" on the xyz stored in memory? (This would be to avoid needing to call the FeatureWriter on the xyz). I'm not sure if that is clear.

Badge +16

Hi @itay, I did notice the article before, and I am trying to do something similar. In my case, I am trying to implement pcl (point cloud library), using the "SystemCaller", in order to convert an xyz to a pcd. Is there a way to read in the xyz, then run the "SystemCaller" on the xyz stored in memory? (This would be to avoid needing to call the FeatureWriter on the xyz). I'm not sure if that is clear.

Hi @danielc

I am not sure is possible to access it from memory, as you mention, usually the systemcaller calls on other applications which do the reading and writing.

In your case you could try calling the external library for writing and in this case a simple creator to trigger the process is sufficient.

The other option would be to use FME to write this format.

Last but not least, add this in the ideas page for possible implementation and future native support....

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @danielc,

> in order to convert an xyz to a pcd

FME supports read/write the xyz format. Why not use the format reader?

Badge

Hi @takashi, I realized that this link is ideal for my solution: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/4845/python-api-for-pointclouds.html

Also, I would love to see fme incorporate pcl library. This would greatly increase the point cloud processing capabilities! Thanks again for the continued support!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @takashi, I realized that this link is ideal for my solution: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/4845/python-api-for-pointclouds.html

Also, I would love to see fme incorporate pcl library. This would greatly increase the point cloud processing capabilities! Thanks again for the continued support!

Hi @danielc -- we've actually linked in the PCL library into FME 2017 and are working to expose some of its functionality. We'd be very interested in knowing what workflows you'd like to see us be able to drive through PCL. I've created an idea where people can brainstorm and vote to help us out. Thanks!