Question

Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data Reader/Writer not working in 32-bit 2017

Hi Safe,

FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters autocad_od/autocad

I'm very annoyed that there is no mention that the Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data Reader/Writer

was removed in 32-bit (only available in 64-bit). Not even in the reader documentation itself

I only came across this issue when i tried to run my scripts on Server/Desktop 2017 - everything failed

This is fundamental change to how FME Desktop/Server works, I can accept change, but at least we would like to do a risk assessment when we upgraded to FME Server from 32-bit 2016 to 32-bit 2017.

We now have to delay upgrading to 2017 Server until all scripts has been tested to work on 64-bit

Please add to Reader/Writer documentation the 32-bit Yes, 64-bit Yes

Rudy (Iron-Fist)

4 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

Even I was a victim of this and I lost 3 days of work and redone again. I have upgraded the workspaces and continued by adding transformers, later I came to know while testing from https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/40735/why-am-i-getting-the-error-error-using-autocad-od.html. So I have to come back by considering backup again and redo the activity...

I don't know in-depth knowledge on how it is built, but I would like to add my point that how can 2014 dwg file (which have OD table) works on 2016/2017 version conditions.

When we have drawing files (in AutoCAD 2014) and able to access in AutoCAD 2014 (installed in same machine) then FME also should have functionality to read (at-least) but should not reject based on AutoCAD 2016/2017 version conditions.

While installing if we get a message of major changes it would be better because whatever may be the constraints, we will go ahead by taking enough precautions...

Pratap

Hi,

Even I was a victim of this and I lost 3 days of work and redone again. I have upgraded the workspaces and continued by adding transformers, later I came to know while testing from https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/40735/why-am-i-getting-the-error-error-using-autocad-od.html. So I have to come back by considering backup again and redo the activity...

I don't know in-depth knowledge on how it is built, but I would like to add my point that how can 2014 dwg file (which have OD table) works on 2016/2017 version conditions.

When we have drawing files (in AutoCAD 2014) and able to access in AutoCAD 2014 (installed in same machine) then FME also should have functionality to read (at-least) but should not reject based on AutoCAD 2016/2017 version conditions.

While installing if we get a message of major changes it would be better because whatever may be the constraints, we will go ahead by taking enough precautions...

Pratap

Yes it should at least told when opening in 2017 32-bit.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @rudy_v and @pratap. My sincere apologies for the delayed response and our poor handling of the change. Unfortunately, we did not have a choice in the change, as AutoCAD discontinued the 32-bit library. However, we should have definitely implemented a better method of communicating these changes to the users in a timely manner (at the moment the only mention appears to be in the format matrix based on bit-version).

Two known issues have been filed, one to improve the communication when opening the workspace (PR 78154 - Workbench: upgrade makes workspace unrunnable when format deprecated), and another to add a note to the Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data Reader/Writer documentation (PR 78157).

In the future, we will strive for a more timely communication and response to these types of changes. If you have any other suggestions about how to communicate these types of changes, please let us know.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

A note has been added to FME 2017.1 documentation and will soon be added to the online documentation:

"Note: Autodesk has discontinued support for the 32-bit versions of the libraries that FME uses to read Object Data. To use this format (and to run older workspaces that use this format), please install the 64-bit version of FME."

http://docs.safe.com/fme/2017.1/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/autocad_od/autocad_od.htm

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.