Question

Extracting tree height/location from lidar data

• 22 June 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi, I hope you can help me. I have LiDAR and NIR data where I need to extract the location and possibly the height of the trees along the city boulevard. Thanks so much.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi @ruby. Sharing a few more details will help the FME community help you. Please reply to this thread and provide additional details including:

• The version of FME you are using, including build number and edition
  • A small sample of your data, or screenshots of the data in the FME Data Inspector
  • A description of your expected output, with screenshots if possible
  • Your FME workspace
  • Your FME translation log file
  • Any other information that may be useful to share
The following articles may be useful: Using LIDAR Waveform Attributes in FME and Point Cloud to 3D Terrain Model with Buildings
Badge
Hi Natalie. Here are the info;

• FME Desktop ESRI Edition (Floating) : FME ® 2017.0.0.0 (20170228 – Build 17529 – Win64)
  • Input – NIR Raster data in TIFF and LAS file. The LAS file is really big. I just took a screen shot (below). I have an idea about getting the tree heights after identifying the tree location using ArcMap’s Geoprocessing tools.
  • Sample Tile info below:

• Screen shot of the LAS data (451 LAS files (Classified)

• The Output looks like below. I started using ESRI’s. The output will be a point feature in SHP or FGDB format.

I started a workspace but not really successful.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @ruby. This point cloud workspace created by @dmitribagh for the 2016 World Tour may be helpful in getting started with workspace creation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9lon9qqa8492wr/PC_Sort_Merge_for_DEM_Class.fmwt?dl=0

Badge

Thanks so much for your help.