Question

dwg/dxf - transform, write and keep layout/paper space?

• 26 January 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi,

I need to read DXWG/DXF, perform a coordinate system transformation and then write back as DWG/DXF again. Files have layouts (paper space) - but it seems that when having DWG as input FME ignores these layouts and the new drawing file has only the default layouts. When input is DXF the layouts are present in the newly created file but all layout elements are gone. Secondly all viewports are not transformed and still point to the "old" coordinates.

I'm not familiar with reading/writing DWG/DXF with FME. I looked at the docs and it seems paper space/layouts are not fully supported by FME. Any hints?

Thank you, Rob

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

The DWG/DXF writer has the option to use a template file.

Using a template file with the right layers, colors, blocks and layout allows you to predefine the output.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Writing paper spaces was new for FME 2016, so if you don't have that (released just a week ago) version, then it's unlikely to work.

Badge

Hi,

thank you for your replies - I will look at both options,

Rob

Badge

Hi,

I used a template drawing but the layouts are not taken into account.

Left hand side - drawing to be transformed

right hand side - transformed drawing

The layout itself is there (as you can see there is a layout in both drawings having the same name). But all layout elements have gone. I used the drawing I transformed as template in the same workspace.

Not sure - is that supposed to work with FME 2014 or not? Retaining all layout seetings?

Thank you Rob