Question

Socrata writer using calendar_date writes the schema but not the data. Changing it to text it works, but is not a date.

• 14 April 2020
  • 3 replies

I am trying to upload to our Open Data site powered by Socrata. I did enough research that I saw I would need to change the data to something Socrata would accept. But if I tell the writer it is a 'calendar_date' field, the schema is uploaded, but no records are created.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

I haven't used Socrata before, but this sounds similar to something I came across in the past with another format.

As a possible first step, I'm wondering if your destination table in Socrata has already been setup with a non-date data type. I'm hoping you can check that out using Socrata. If not, try importing the writer feature type (two methods shown below) to bring in the existing schema of the destination table:

Once imported, you can open up the writer feature type parameters, go to User Attributes and see what data type the 'calendar_date' is set to:

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

After taking a closer read of your description, sounds like you are seeing the attribute set to calendar_date in Socrata.... I'm wondering if you need to convert the values to a date format that Socrata accepts for calendar_date prior to writing out to Socrata using the DateTimeConverter. Let us know if none of these do the trick and we can try escalating it.

Thanks @nampreetatsafe I definitely tried letting the software create the data set and schema in case that was the issue. It didnt seem to help.