Question

Is it possible to perform a batch dissolving on different feature classes by using arcpy dissolve tool?

Hi, I have several feature classes and I'd like to dissolve them one by one, they all have different attribute fields, I only know which fields to exclude. And because there's no tolerance in LineCombiner, I hope to use Arcpy to do the dissolve processing like @daveatsafe demonstrated in the link below:

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/47216/using-arcpy-for-fme-feature-processing.html

Is it possible to make this happen?

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25
Alternative solution might be to use a Snapper before the LineCombiner so you do get the option to set a tolerance.
Alternative solution might be to use a Snapper before the LineCombiner so you do get the option to set a tolerance.

If so, how can I perform a batch dissolving by using Dissolver and LineCombiner transformer?

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

If so, how can I perform a batch dissolving by using Dissolver and LineCombiner transformer?

So you have lines as input, want to combine those to areas and then dissolve those areas, correct? (note that the term dissolve in FME has a different meaning than in ESRI products)

So you have lines as input, want to combine those to areas and then dissolve those areas, correct? (note that the term dissolve in FME has a different meaning than in ESRI products)

No, I have lines and areas as input, I'd like to conbine lines and dissolve areas based on given attributes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

No, I have lines and areas as input, I'd like to conbine lines and dissolve areas based on given attributes.

Ok, so combining lines is first a Snapper and then a LineCombiner. If you want to form areas out of the lines you can use an AreaBuilder (which has a snapping tolerance parameter, so you may not even need the Snapper/LineCombiner). Then dissolving the areas can be done with a Dissolver.

Ok, so combining lines is first a Snapper and then a LineCombiner. If you want to form areas out of the lines you can use an AreaBuilder (which has a snapping tolerance parameter, so you may not even need the Snapper/LineCombiner). Then dissolving the areas can be done with a Dissolver.

I think you have misunderstood me, I didn't want to form areas from lines, just dissolving lines and areas like what I can do in ArcGIS by using "Dissolve" tool. And I want to make a batch processing, because I've got a lot line feature classes and area feature classes.

Badge +22

I think you have misunderstood me, I didn't want to form areas from lines, just dissolving lines and areas like what I can do in ArcGIS by using "Dissolve" tool. And I want to make a batch processing, because I've got a lot line feature classes and area feature classes.

You can use a geometry filter to separate out lines and areas, send the lines to a LineCombiner and the areas to a Dissolver.

In both cases you can use group-by.

While you can run an FME workspace in batch mode, in many cases you can process all the data in one go, using the group-bys and fanouts on the writer.

If that's not of interest, the workspace runner in a controller workspace offers fine grained control, and is easier to set up then batching.