Question

Quality settings for RasterDEMGenerator

• 20 August 2018
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge

Hi all,

we are company that interested in using FME products. Main issue that we are blocked in current process is DEM generation. We compare results with Civil 3D and failed to tune FME workbench to get comparable quality. As I understood FME has only 2 settings for DEM interpolation: planar and constant. Planar gives us better results, but still interpolation doesn't seem good enough. It is not accurate. Ive attache some synthetic file that we use for quality assurance. And results from FME and Autocad Civil3D. Another question is what should be best input format for such operation, our pipeline set to work with 3d edges, but may be TIN would give better quality? May be anyone solved this task in the past to move process of DEM conversion of TIN from Civil3D to FME?

Here is file that I am working with and results: files . Basically I dont understand why FME give so big difference in elevations and why it is not symmetrical for pyramids.

3 replies

Badge +7

Hi @eugine_ta, thanks for your question.

From the files you've shared it does look like there's a noticeable difference between the AutoCAD and FME DEM outputs. We're doing a bit of investigation to try to find out if there is an explanation, workaround, or improvement that can be made. I'll let you know what we come up with.

Unfortunately the images you posted in your last comment are not appearing. Would you be able to try attaching them as files?

Thanks,

Nathan
Badge

Hi @eugine_ta, thanks for your question.

From the files you've shared it does look like there's a noticeable difference between the AutoCAD and FME DEM outputs. We're doing a bit of investigation to try to find out if there is an explanation, workaround, or improvement that can be made. I'll let you know what we come up with.

Unfortunately the images you posted in your last comment are not appearing. Would you be able to try attaching them as files?

Thanks,

Nathan
@NathanAtSafe ,thanks for notice this post!

Please find attached workbench that was build for processing.

Input data for this process.

Tiff results for FME and AutoCAD.

files at google drive

Also some analysis that we did, when compared 2 DEMs

diff-analysis.png

tin.png

fme.png

autocad.png

If there is some issues with input data please flag that up. So we could correct it. We are really interested on getting results soon.

Badge +7
@NathanAtSafe ,thanks for notice this post!

Please find attached workbench that was build for processing.

Input data for this process.

Tiff results for FME and AutoCAD.

files at google drive

Also some analysis that we did, when compared 2 DEMs

diff-analysis.png

tin.png

fme.png

autocad.png

If there is some issues with input data please flag that up. So we could correct it. We are really interested on getting results soon.

You're welcome @eugine_ta,

I've passed on the additional information to our dev team. I'll notify you here with any news.

Thanks for raising the issue!

Nathan