Solved

FME desktop 2016 feature writer

• 11 January 2016
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge

Currently I am using FME 2015 and a project I have completed reads a xml and writes the data it sends to a database and then sends a email saying weather it worked or did not work. I am using two workbenches with a workplace runner because I have to know if it wrote or did not write to the database table. I know using FME 2015 i either had to use the workplace runner or a python shutdown script.

But in FME 2016 the feature writer has a output. I was wondering if I could somehow use that to my advantage and use that output features in someway to pass the data along so i did not have to use a workplace runner and two transformers or a python shutdown script to know if it wrote to the database or not and then send a email based on success or failure. This is being done in FME desktop not FME server so I cannot take advantage of the server emailing ability.

icon

Best answer by erik_jan 11 January 2016, 16:45

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Yes, that is exactly the reason for using the FeatureWriter. The workspace will continue after the writing to the database has finished.

Even more: The WorkspaceRunners you are using now do not guarantee the writing to the database if you continue on the Succeeded output. It just guarantees no FATAL errors in your workspace, but sometimes no data has been written and no errors.

So the FeatureWriter will be an improvement for your process.

Badge

Yes, that is exactly the reason for using the FeatureWriter. The workspace will continue after the writing to the database has finished.

Even more: The WorkspaceRunners you are using now do not guarantee the writing to the database if you continue on the Succeeded output. It just guarantees no FATAL errors in your workspace, but sometimes no data has been written and no errors.

I have the beta and been playing around with it and the only data that workplace passes is the summary. Is the best way to keep going with the data is to pass the data past the feature writer with the summary? Is there anything that i can merge the data pre writer with and the summary output of the feature writer?

Badge

I was thinking of adding a counter pre writer and then merging the summary on the attribute feature.count that is a output. What are your thoughts on this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

I was thinking of adding a counter pre writer and then merging the summary on the attribute feature.count that is a output. What are your thoughts on this?

The FME Blog explains how to use the FeatureWriter. Hope this helps:

https://blog.safe.com/2016/01/fmeevangelist143/

Badge

The FME Blog explains how to use the FeatureWriter. Hope this helps:

https://blog.safe.com/2016/01/fmeevangelist143/

Thanks, I did not see this.