Question

3D building smoothing

Hi,

I have bigger guestion about working in fme with 3D geometry. I made buildings from pointcloud from certain city with different program. Everything went fine buildings look good and there is textures from aerial photos. But now I would need to make buildings file sizes smaller for game engine. There is most likely other programs to do this, but was thinking if I could make fme work with these files?

What makes files so big is amount of polygons and ofcourse amount of textures on these every polygon.

Goes maybe little hard way, but how I could make buildings smoother and still keep their textures?

I know in sketchup there is own tool for this, so why it wouldn't be possible for fme? :)

And yea.. There is about 1700 buildings to make smoother or just get their filesize smaller somehow. So Im trying to make fme work with all these buildings in one workbench.

I have buildings in .skp and .dae formats for now.

2 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi

Have you looked at the SurfaceModeller transformer to generalize your surfaces? Play around with the "Surface tolerance" setting.

For vector features there is also the Generalizer transformer.

David

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

If you need further help with this, please do contact our support team (http://www.safe.com/support). I see you are a new user of FME and we would certainly like to help you get started in any way we can.

Regards

Mark

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc.