Question

How to get better at FME

Hi, I recently started working for a company that focuses on utilities in northeastern Massachusetts. My duties are to create FME desktop models of data provided from field crews. I have only been there for two weeks but I am having trouble of understanding how to build models without using a list that FME basic desktop uses for tutorials. How do I get better at creating FME models being provided of a list of how to do it?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Safe offers various different forms of training, there's recorded training courses online and instructor-led online courses as well, in addition to that there's courses being offered around the world by Safe and partners, see https://www.safe.com/training/ for an overview.

Aside from that there's tutorials and webinars available and this forum is a great place to ask questions.

Best advice I can give you is to practice, practice, practice. FME is pretty complex and if you're new to it it may seem overwhelming, but it can be done.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think it's a question of where you are having trouble. If it is with which transformers to use, then really that will come with experience. But you can search for a transformer using keywords, rather than their name, which may help.

If it's structuring the workspace (readers/writers) then you'll find questions here help. FME is usually very much the same regardless of formats used, so if you do understand the tutorials then it should be applicable to your scenarios without much change.

As @redgeographics says, it's really a case of practice. As you follow more tutorials and training then you'll come to understand how it applies to your own data. But please do ask questions here and we'll help out. And please do sign up for a training course, which will take you through FME Desktop starting with the very basics, and give you the opportunity to ask questions at every step.

Good luck. Please do keep in touch and use all of our available resources as much as you need. We're here to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

In the US, the Safe Software partner Spatial Business Systems is providing a range of types of FME training.

You can find and request additional information here:

https://www.spatialbiz.com/solutions/data-solutions/fme-software/