Question

Can I set a threshold for memory usage in FME desktop?

• 13 September 2016
  • 5 replies

My machine has 64GB RAM and FME is really good at using it. But when I run a complex data intensive job in FME it happily eats away about 55-58GB RAM which really limits my other tasks.

I have read about the `FME_ENGINE_MEMORY_REDLINE` but it seems like I have to try to set it to somewhere around 0-0.5. But I would like to force FME desktop to limit itself to ex. 32GB. Is that possible?

5 replies

Userlevel 4

I believe FME_ENGINE_MEMORY_REDLINE is the way to go.

If you have 64 GB of RAM, setting it to 0.5 (which is also the default) should limit you to about 32 GB.

Or have you observed otherwise?

Badge +16

Hi,

I dont think you can be so precise on the amount of memory to dedicate to FME processes.

Probably a matter of trying out the best setting with the redline setting.

Badge
We have had similar issues running memory intensive workspaces on FME server.

See this thread: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/33043/questions-regarding-memory-usage-and-optimization.html

Currently we have adjusted the FME_ENGINE_MEMORY_REDLINE to 0.04 giving us a maximum of about 8GB per engine (we run 4 engines on the server). If we left the FME_ENGINE_MEMORY_REDLINE at 0.5 we would swap so much that one of our jobs wouldn't complete in 20+ hours - on it runs in 7.

The server is a Windows 2012R2 server with 32GB of ram running 64bit FME Server 2016.1.1.1.

Please note that if you are setting the FME_ENGINE_MEMORY_REDLINE on your desktop you can use the header parameter - but on the server we only got it working setting it in the <FMEServer>/Server/fmeServerConfig.txt

Also Mark Ireland from Safe said:

"In fact, I'm really not sure I would touch the redline setting at all, at least not until I'd ruled out every other possible problem."

Hope this helps!

/Malte

Badge

We have had similar issues running memory intensive workspaces on FME server.

See this thread: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/33043/questions-regarding-memory-usage-and-optimization.html

Currently we have adjusted the FME_ENGINE_MEMORY_REDLINE to 0.04 giving us a maximum of about 8GB per engine (we run 4 engines on the server). If we left the FME_ENGINE_MEMORY_REDLINE at 0.5 we would swap so much that one of our jobs wouldn't complete in 20+ hours - on it runs in 7.

The server is a Windows 2012R2 server with 32GB of ram running 64bit FME Server 2016.1.1.1.

Please note that if you are setting the FME_ENGINE_MEMORY_REDLINE on your desktop you can use the header parameter - but on the server we only got it working setting it in the <FMEServer>/Server/fmeServerConfig.txt

That said I got this warning from Mark Ireland at Safe:

"In fact, I'm really not sure I would touch the redline setting at all, at least not until I'd ruled out every other possible problem."

But it helped us in the end!

Hope this helps you as well!

/Malte

I believe FME_ENGINE_MEMORY_REDLINE is the way to go.

If you have 64 GB of RAM, setting it to 0.5 (which is also the default) should limit you to about 32 GB.

Or have you observed otherwise?

I don't think anyone has changed the default value on my computer, but it greedily eats up most of the RAM. In some cases I end up having to reboot the computer because it forces windows to increase "Modified Memory" (Windows/Resource Monitor/Memory) until it has eaten all the RAM and the OS becomes responseless (I wonder what "Modified Memory" actually refers to?). The simple solution to this problem is to reduce the amount of memory FME can consume.