Solved

Export to fmear

Hi, I'm trying to export a tin terrain model to a fmear file. I can't find much information on how to do that and which transformers that I need to use. I have tried different input formats and the only thing that worked was a simple sylinder. That was exported from a vrml file and I could display it the apple fmear app. Is there any information on how to do it?

Regards Johan

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 2 March 2018, 08:24

View original

26 replies

Badge +21

This might help: http://docs.safe.com/fme/2018.0/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/fme_ar/quick_facts_fme_ar.htm?Highlight=fme ar

It needs to be line,point,polygon or surface.

I saw that before and I tried different geometries but without any success.

I watched this video were they discuss fmear https://blog.safe.com/2017/12/augmented-reality/. They mention that you can convert obj files into fmear. I tried that as well but I couldn't get it to work, the terrain I used displayed fine Meshlab. So I guess you need to use some kind of transformer on the data to get it to work. Any ideas?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi all,

Sorry you're having some troubles. We do know that this is early days for the workflow, and it didn't really get any chance to be used during public beta, so there are some rough points we'll address for FME 2018.1

In the meantime, one thing I found was that whatever 3D object you put out there has to be centered around 0,0 in X, and the units for X, Y, and Z need to be the same.

I've had pretty good luck taking Sketchup objects from their 3D warehouse and converting them using this workspace:

skp2fme-ar.fmw

Note that it shifts the origin of the model to be centered around 0,0 in X and Y.

I'd suggest finding a simple sketchup model, downloading it, and then adding it into my workspace, deleting my sketchup model and replacing it with yours.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh, I'll also include the .fmear file I was using just so you can be sure you've got the app side of things working well: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlu4zare229cgse/Deep%20Dive%202018.fmear?dl=0 -- try downloading that into a file system that the FME AR app on iOS can read and see if you can get that to work.

PS: I do not think you can put just lines or points or even flat 2D areas out to FME AR files. They all need to be converted into 3D somehow. The new Bufferer has the ability to do that if you turn on 3D mode, or use the Extruder.

Hi, thanks a lot for you input Dale. I got it to work now. After I centered my terrain model around 0,0 in X and Y and adjusting the Z value I got it to work. Still just testing different inputs but it looks very promising.

Regards

Johan

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi, thanks a lot for you input Dale. I got it to work now. After I centered my terrain model around 0,0 in X and Y and adjusting the Z value I got it to work. Still just testing different inputs but it looks very promising.

Regards

Johan

Excellent news! Definitely this is interesting emerging technology. Looking forward to seeing what all the amazing FMEers do with it!

Badge

I am trying to test a building (BIM) on the FME_AR. To do this I am following the instruction that the blog has.

1. Export the file to a OBJ format (The geometry of the objects is aggregate)

2. Center the object into 0,0 (X,Y)

3. Zip the file and change the .zip extension to .fmear

4. Copy the file to Google Drive or iCloud

5. Open the FME AR app and browse for the file.

6. nothing happens

I also tested the deep drive sample data and ius not working

Any idea why ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I am trying to test a building (BIM) on the FME_AR. To do this I am following the instruction that the blog has.

6. nothing happens

Any idea why ?

I've not tried making a .fmear file by zipping OBJ, but in principle that should have worked.

From your note though it seems like you were unable to view the .fmear file I linked to in the Mar 02 posting below. Were you able to select the file from a dropbox account in the .fmear app? Did you see the yellow box as it tries to lock onto a horizontal surface?

Badge

6. nothing happens

Any idea why ?

Hello Dale,

The step 3 I have done it two different ways.

A. Zip the OBJ file

B. Use the FMEAR writer using your workspace.

Also, I am not able to view the .fmear file that you have on the dropbox neither.

Best regards,

David

Badge +9
Hello Dale,

The step 3 I have done it two different ways.

A. Zip the OBJ file

B. Use the FMEAR writer using your workspace.

Also, I am not able to view the .fmear file that you have on the dropbox neither.

Best regards,

David

Hi David,

We would love to get the bottom of why this doesn't work for you. Can you tell us more about the device you are using to view the .fmear file?

Also, did the FMEAR app load correctly or do you get any error message?

I've had a colleague here that encountered a similar issue until we realized that the phone wasn't fully supporting ARKit.

Looking forward to your response.

Brian

Badge

6. nothing happens

Any idea why ?

Hello Brian,

Device information

iPhone 6

OS 11.2.6

The app loaded correctly. I did not got any errors.

Thank you,

David

Badge +9
Hello Brian,

Device information

iPhone 6

OS 11.2.6

The app loaded correctly. I did not got any errors.

Thank you,

David

Hi David.

There is a strong possibility that your phone is not supported. It looks like IPhone 6S and above are the models that work: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeviceInformation/Reference/iOSDeviceCompatibility/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix.html

Let me know if this is the case. In the meantime, we will investigate why there isn't an error message displaying.

What should happen is that you can see the first screen where you pick a .fmear file, but then when the AR screen pops up, it should show an error for you. In your case perhaps this isn't working properly and we will get to the bottom of it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32
Hi David.

There is a strong possibility that your phone is not supported. It looks like IPhone 6S and above are the models that work: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeviceInformation/Reference/iOSDeviceCompatibility/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix.html

Let me know if this is the case. In the meantime, we will investigate why there isn't an error message displaying.

What should happen is that you can see the first screen where you pick a .fmear file, but then when the AR screen pops up, it should show an error for you. In your case perhaps this isn't working properly and we will get to the bottom of it.

The app works on iPhone SE iOS 11.2.6 but it doesnt seem to load this model. Did anyone got it working on an SE?

I just got another model working. Just downloaded a model, ran it with Dales workspace and uploaded to iCloud.
Badge

6. nothing happens

Any idea why ?

Problem solved. I am using an iPhone 6; which doesn't support arkit

Thank you everyone for the help. !!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I have an iPhone SE, which should be supported, upgraded to the latest iOS, but still have trouble getting @daleatsafe's sample to show up. It gets to the point where it says the asset is found but all it shows on-screen is the yellow square. Same thing with one of my own scenes (I'm hoping to do something similar to the Vancouver sample that was shown in the video)

I've also found it to be picky in terms of finding a spot. On my desk (dark) it consistently fails, but on my floor (light) it works.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I have an iPhone SE, which should be supported, upgraded to the latest iOS, but still have trouble getting @daleatsafe's sample to show up. It gets to the point where it says the asset is found but all it shows on-screen is the yellow square. Same thing with one of my own scenes (I'm hoping to do something similar to the Vancouver sample that was shown in the video)

I've also found it to be picky in terms of finding a spot. On my desk (dark) it consistently fails, but on my floor (light) it works.

Never mind, I got it to work with my own scene. On the floor still, but that's a minor detail :) It turned out my scene was in LL84 with elevations in meters, reprojecting it solved the issue.

Hi all

I have similar issues with fmear. I tried to display the file from daleatsafe but I don't see anything. The app starts without an issue.

Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I' using the Ipad (2017) an can display a simple .obj file in fme AR

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Hi all

I have similar issues with fmear. I tried to display the file from daleatsafe but I don't see anything. The app starts without an issue.

Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I' using the Ipad (2017) an can display a simple .obj file in fme AR

Thanks in advance!

1. Check the exact model you have using the model number on the back of your device and this list. (My model number is A1429 for an iPhone SE.)

2. Make sure your device is supporting arkit.

3. Download the model Dale provided.

4. Upload the file to iCloud Drive, drop it in the FME AR folder.

5. Start the app, select the file and point the focus of the camera on the floor. Slowly turn the phone a bit left and right until the marker gets a fix. Wait until the marker becomes a square. Now wait when the model is loading.

6. Use your fingers to scale, rotate and drag the model like you want it.

Initially I could not get that model running either, using an iPhone SE.

Downloaded this sketchup model (SketchUp 2017 model as 2018 didnt work for me), ran it with the workspace Dale provided, uploaded it to iCloud Drive and it worked instantly.

Now the model Dale server works for me as well. Guess I needed to get some feeling how to get the app running. For me it works quickest when I point at the floor about 3 meters from the place I sit. Enough light and some structure seems to help the app to detect the surface.
1. Check the exact model you have using the model number on the back of your device and this list. (My model number is A1429 for an iPhone SE.)

2. Make sure your device is supporting arkit.

3. Download the model Dale provided.

4. Upload the file to iCloud Drive, drop it in the FME AR folder.

5. Start the app, select the file and point the focus of the camera on the floor. Slowly turn the phone a bit left and right until the marker gets a fix. Wait until the marker becomes a square. Now wait when the model is loading.

6. Use your fingers to scale, rotate and drag the model like you want it.

Initially I could not get that model running either, using an iPhone SE.

Downloaded this sketchup model (SketchUp 2017 model as 2018 didnt work for me), ran it with the workspace Dale provided, uploaded it to iCloud Drive and it worked instantly.

Now the model Dale server works for me as well. Guess I needed to get some feeling how to get the app running. For me it works quickest when I point at the floor about 3 meters from the place I sit. Enough light and some structure seems to help the app to detect the surface.
Hi

Thanks for the help

I think the problem whith sketchup is, that I have the 32bit version and not the 64 bit, which is required.

But this shouldnt be the problem with .obj->.fmear right?

Is a special coordinate system required?

Regards

Hi

Thanks for the help

I think the problem whith sketchup is, that I have the 32bit version and not the 64 bit, which is required.

But this shouldnt be the problem with .obj->.fmear right?

Is a special coordinate system required?

Regards

After I downloaded the 64 bit version, I was able to transform my .obj. object to .skp and then with the workflow from daleatafe to fmear.

Now everything works fine! :-)

Regards

Johan

Hi @sandelljohan80

FME beginner here. I am trying to do a similar thing with my terrain model. I can view my TIN (with imagery and vectors draped) in a 3dpdf without any issues. Theoretically, I should be able to write the same workflow into a FMEAR file? When I do that, it provides me with an AR file without any issues, but the file doesn't open on my iPhone 6s in the app. I'm not familiar with Bounds extractor and offsetter to centre X and Y to 0,0. Any info would be much appreciated.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi @sandelljohan80

FME beginner here. I am trying to do a similar thing with my terrain model. I can view my TIN (with imagery and vectors draped) in a 3dpdf without any issues. Theoretically, I should be able to write the same workflow into a FMEAR file? When I do that, it provides me with an AR file without any issues, but the file doesn't open on my iPhone 6s in the app. I'm not familiar with Bounds extractor and offsetter to centre X and Y to 0,0. Any info would be much appreciated.
I don't really know, but there is a chance that the model you've created is too complex for a 6s. Can you give this one a try: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlu4zare229cgse/Deep%20Dive%202018.fmear?dl=0 -- that one is much simpler. Let us know if that works.

If you have a modern version of the app, we do the offset and centering now. It is still true that the units need to be the same for x, y, and z for things to work well though.

I don't really know, but there is a chance that the model you've created is too complex for a 6s. Can you give this one a try: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlu4zare229cgse/Deep%20Dive%202018.fmear?dl=0 -- that one is much simpler. Let us know if that works.

If you have a modern version of the app, we do the offset and centering now. It is still true that the units need to be the same for x, y, and z for things to work well though.

Hi @daleatsafe

The model you provided works fine. I also went back to my model and ensured that x, y, and z were all in the same units. My projection is in meters so I ensured that the 3DForcer was using the elevation field (ft) but converted to meters (@Value(contourele) * 0.3048). I then loaded it into FMEAR and it's a 589.2MB file size which is obviously very large. It opens up the app and says 'loading document', then 'loading model' and then '1 asset found' but it never appears.

*edit - My draped imagery file size is the problem. I'll let you know how I get on

Hi @daleatsafe

The model you provided works fine. I also went back to my model and ensured that x, y, and z were all in the same units. My projection is in meters so I ensured that the 3DForcer was using the elevation field (ft) but converted to meters (@Value(contourele) * 0.3048). I then loaded it into FMEAR and it's a 589.2MB file size which is obviously very large. It opens up the app and says 'loading document', then 'loading model' and then '1 asset found' but it never appears.

*edit - My draped imagery file size is the problem. I'll let you know how I get on

I resampled my raster and re exported. An Iphone 6s can still display a 150MB file in great detail in the app. It looks awesome. Thank you

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
I resampled my raster and re exported. An Iphone 6s can still display a 150MB file in great detail in the app. It looks awesome. Thank you

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know that there really is a cap on the size that a 6s can handle (we'd not known that for certain). I'll let the team know -- perhaps we can make that experience a bit friendlier.

Enjoy your augmented reality!

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know that there really is a cap on the size that a 6s can handle (we'd not known that for certain). I'll let the team know -- perhaps we can make that experience a bit friendlier.

Enjoy your augmented reality!

Hi Dale,

Is there any reason you could think of that my draped GEOTIFF mosaic comes through the AR app almost fully transparent? It's completely opaque in both a 3dPDF and the inspector outputs and there is nothing obvious in any of its transformers. Thanks