Question

Bufferer for polyline with Z

• 14 March 2015
  • 7 replies

Hi all,

I have a shapefile of 3D polyline. I want to apply a bufferer to these polylines using an attribute to create a surface. However, when I use the Bufferer transformer on the polylines, it seems that I loose Z values of the polylines. How can I fix that?

Hope you could help.

Best regards,

Asher

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

Assuming that all vertices belonging to a line have identical z coordinate value:

- extract z-value before buffering (ElevationExtractor),

- restore it after buffering (3DForcer).

Takashi
Hi Takashi,

Unfortunaltely, the Z value is not the same at start and end ...
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
What kind of surface do you need to create from the 3D line having different z-values for each vertex?

Could you please illustrate with some examples?
Badge +3
Can you not just use the polylines in a SurfaceModeller?

Or segemtne the lines and use the points in a SurfaceModeller?
Badge
A pitty that the OP, @asherk, didnt respond, i'm facing the same problem.

In my case, i want to make a Mesh out of polylines with changing z-values over the line as well (public transport lines). I used a surfacedraper and a ascii grid to get the z-values, but the bufferer "deletes" them.

Any workaround tipps for me? If i understand this transformer right, the surfacemodeller won't help me here...

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
A pitty that the OP, @asherk, didnt respond, i'm facing the same problem.

In my case, i want to make a Mesh out of polylines with changing z-values over the line as well (public transport lines). I used a surfacedraper and a ascii grid to get the z-values, but the bufferer "deletes" them.

Any workaround tipps for me? If i understand this transformer right, the surfacemodeller won't help me here...

Hi @uaclement

Could you share us the template file ( .FMWT )?

Thanks,

Danilo
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Buffering is a 2D operation. That said it feels like you could take one copy of the lines and buffer them. Take another copy and put them into the draper as the breaklines (or the points/lines -- I'll let someone else advise or just experiment). Then put the buffered ones (now polygons) in to get Z values assigned.