Question

Autodesk objects losing z attribute

• 19 March 2014
  • 4 replies

Hi there,

I have an infuriating problem in that I have a DWG file that looks fine in it's origin, but when I load the DWG into FME 2013 SP3 several elements that compose a block lose their z value.  I can see the z values in the DWG but by the time FME reads it some of them have gone.  There are no warnings or errors it simply seems to lose the height, any thoughts appreciated...

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

consider sending the DWG to Safe for analysis. Also consider installing FME 2014 (into a separate directory) to test if it's an issue that has already been resolved.

David
Hi David, unfortunately the CAD Support guys here are really tetchy about sending CAD files outside of our organisation, I found that there is a block insert z value associated with those coming through in 2D and all of the affected features seem to be the base of the object (for which hte z value is relevant) so as a work-around I am using 3DForcer to apply this value which seems to clear the problem, until that is one of these features is not from the base z level....
Userlevel 4
Hi,

if security is an issue, consider copy/pasting just a few of the problematic objects into a blank drawing. This may also help in narrowing down the problem.

Sounds like it might be a bug in the DWG reader for certain objects under a set condition.

Upgrading FME might be a good first step, though.

David
Badge +3
might not the association be the problem?

Are the objects true 3D in Autocad?

Gio