Question

Connect planets to their satellites with lines

Badge +2
Hi,

using Oracle SDO as source I need to create lines that connect points from table PLANETS to their moons in table SATELLITES.   Common key in tables is PLANET_NAME.  Resulting lines a stored in Oracle SDO table for further use.

Example rows: 
 Table PLANETS PLANET_NAME   PLANET_GEOM    'Jupiter'     point_geometry 'Saturn'      point_geometry  Table SATELLITES SATELLITE_NAME    PLANET_NAME     SATELL_GEOM 'Io'              'Jupiter'       point_geometry 'Europa'          'Jupiter'       point_geometry 'Kallisto'        'Jupiter'       point_geometry 'Titan'           'Saturn'        point_geometry 'Rhea'            'Saturn'        point_geometry 'Dione'           'Saturn'        point_geometry etc. Table PLANET_SATELL_CONN PLANET             SATELLITE      CONN_GEOM 'Jupiter'          'Io'           line_geometry 'Jupiter'          'Europa'       line_geometry etc. 
 Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

(Again, this would be easy to program in PL/SQL but I'd like to find a way to do it with FME ;-)

br, Esko

2 replies

Badge +2
1. Extract the coordinates of each planet and satellites

2. Use Feature merger to merge the planet coordinate to each satellite 

3. Use VertexCreator and add point (specify planet coordinate in x,y,z) such that you will get line from sateliite to planet

4. Use attribute Keeper/attribute remover to remove the unwanted attributes
Badge
Esko,

Curious... what coordinate system are you using? That's the only part I'm completely in the dark on how to answer you with - although pratap's answer looks good in general. I've done earth ground station to man-made geosync satelite links before - but that is childs-play in compairison.

Bryan