Question

FME Server generic reader

• 7 March 2013
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
Hi,

For some reason the formats my workspace arent being recognised by the generic reader on FME Server.

They are when I run it in desktop. Do I need to do something else on FME Server?

Thanks,

Owen

4 replies

Badge +21
Do you have an error-log? Which file format are you trying to read? Which version of FME?

If it is a format that needs some kind of template you should also upload or make available the template file. Some related information here if you are using IDGS: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/fmetalk/a-ZBfpuMMFc
Badge +1
Thanks Sig. I've just checked the log file and the reader directory had been truncated where there was a space in folder name, so it couldnt find the data format......?!

Anyway this is odd, as I've just tested it on fme server using a standard reader and it worked fine. I did want to have multiple input formats though,
Badge +10
There's certainly no obvious reason why you shouldn't be able to use a Generic Reader, that is after all one of the reasons the Generic Reader exists for just this need. What Service have you got the workspace registered with... depending on the version of Server you are using I'd recommend starting to troubleshoot with the JobSubmitter service as in the earlier iterations of Server it gives you a full log accessible to review.
Badge +1
I've just had a job fail where the generic reader guessed the file type for an ESRI ascii grid (.grd) as a vertical mapper grid (also .grd).

Why would FME desktop (Version: FME(R) 2012 SP3 (20120713 - Build 12258 - WIN32) guess it as an ascii grid, and FME Server (2013) guess vertical mapper?

To get around this, I have added parameter to choose the input type, and then appied it to the generic input format parameter. Which works, but kind of defeats the point.

In this case the input could be an xyz file (csv) or ascii grid.