Solved

Error writing to Excel - Feature is in writer mode 'UPDATE' but has no value for row ID attribute ''

• 13 July 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +10

I'm getting the following error when writing to Excel from a specific workspace using FME 2016.1.0.1.

ERROR |Excel Writer: Feature is in writer mode 'UPDATE' but has no value for row ID attribute ''

Despite what the error reads, my excel writer is set to insert. I'm also getting the error when saving the data from inspector to Excel. The problem seems to be specific to this workspace as i can write to excel without issue from others, with the same Excel writer parameters. I've tried writing to a different location without luck as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by jlutherthomas 13 July 2017, 20:52

View original

3 replies

Badge +2

Hi @carmijo

Do you have the fme_db_operation attribute set anywhere in your workspace, where it may be picking up an unintentional value of UPDATE? When you add an Excel Writer you can also set the 'Default Feature Type Writer Mode'.

It may be worth deleting and adding a new Excel writer and double check the settings.

You could also try adding an AttributeManager before the writer and set the value for the fme_db_operation to INSERT and see if that changes the result, or add an counter and set the attribute to be called xlsx_row_id as a temporary fix.
Badge +10

Hi @carmijo

Do you have the fme_db_operation attribute set anywhere in your workspace, where it may be picking up an unintentional value of UPDATE? When you add an Excel Writer you can also set the 'Default Feature Type Writer Mode'.

It may be worth deleting and adding a new Excel writer and double check the settings.

You could also try adding an AttributeManager before the writer and set the value for the fme_db_operation to INSERT and see if that changes the result, or add an counter and set the attribute to be called xlsx_row_id as a temporary fix.
Hi @jlutherthomas

That's certainly the issue. I inherited this workspace from a coworker and didn't realize that the attribute creator before the excel writer I added was setting fme_db_operation to UPDATE.

Thank you very much for your help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

For documentation purposes:

I had this same problem but was initially unable to fix it.

Problem was triggered by a feature with an fme_db_operation attribute I wrote to both an GDB and an XLS. It needed the fme_db_operation attribute for the GDB but not for the XLS so added an AttributeKeeper in the XLS stream expecting the fme_db_operation attribute would be stopped. Did not fix it.

Only when I removed the fme_db_operation attribute using an AttributeRemover the problem went away. This is because fme_db_operation is a system attribute, which get unexposed by removing. It is then re-exposed at the Writer if checked in the Format Parameters tab.

As the workspace was already running in FME Server it took me a while to find this.