Question

DWG is showing custom linetype as solid line

• 21 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I am creating dwg files using autocad template and DWG Styler. But when I opened the file in AutoCAD I am not able to see the linetype, instead it shows solid line. But as soon as I execute command REGENALL the linetype is displayed correctly with linetype.

I have set autocad_linetype_generation=1 in fme, The scale is also fine, also I could manually create the linetype in autocad,

I have done everything as mentioned in this post https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/83076/enable-linetype-generation-for-dwg.html

I dont know if this is FME issue or AutoCAD setting issue.

Has any one observed this or has any suggestion?

Regards

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Have you tried it with autocad_linetype_generation set to 0? In that thread @gio mentions that works for him.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

The custom linestyle needs to be defined in a template.

That template DWG needs to be used as a setting in the writer.

Hope this helps.

Badge +1

Hi @erik_jan & @redgeographics tried both options but no success, I failed to understand that if I give command REGENALL in autocad the linestyle appea correct.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @zubairsm,

It might be a good idea to check the output in FME, and inspect that line in the Feature Information Window to make sure that the linetype is correct. Then in autocad, check that the properties of the line has the correct linetype.

Autodesk's Troubleshooting page on Lintype Changes After Regen in AutoCAD and Toolsets provides some suggestions. Another CAD forum also suggests using REGEN or REGENALL after modifying system variables of scale on linetype to display those changes.

It sounds to me like it's writing out correctly and upon opening the file, AutoCAD just needs a refresh to update what's shown. Regarding the display, AutoCAD writers get their initial settings from the template file. I believe using REGEN or REGENALL then adjusts the display properly to view your file appropriately.
Badge +1

Hi @zubairsm,

It might be a good idea to check the output in FME, and inspect that line in the Feature Information Window to make sure that the linetype is correct. Then in autocad, check that the properties of the line has the correct linetype.

Autodesk's Troubleshooting page on Lintype Changes After Regen in AutoCAD and Toolsets provides some suggestions. Another CAD forum also suggests using REGEN or REGENALL after modifying system variables of scale on linetype to display those changes.

It sounds to me like it's writing out correctly and upon opening the file, AutoCAD just needs a refresh to update what's shown. Regarding the display, AutoCAD writers get their initial settings from the template file. I believe using REGEN or REGENALL then adjusts the display properly to view your file appropriately.

Thanks @jovitaatsafe for your reply,

Yes FME is writing correctly because I can see the correct linestyle in property. I tried with graphic acceleration but no luck.

I have to write many Tiled autocad files (weekly) and my client will not be happy to give regenall command to see the custom linestyle. If I may ask can you have a look at the attached dwg file (xy=350264.9009,379788.1137 linetype=MV_LINE_SPECIAL3)ICP_hv_33kv_conductor_026.dwg